Help me with elephant fish please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rjnxr7

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
I have had four elaphant fish in the past year or two the longest one has lasted was about two months. my latest one died today he lasted one week then he developed a fungus and died . the levels in th water were ok I dont know what im doing wrong please help . I love the fish and id really love to keep one . please help me!:help:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What exactly are your water parameters? What test kit are you using? What do you feed your elephant-nose? Tank size and tankmates? Pics of the setup?

rjnxr7

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
The test kit was an api master kit,ph was 7to7.2 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 amonia 0.Ifeed him brine shrimp frozen, blood worms frozen, krill, plankton, dried food .Tank mates are 4 loaches two small angels, 4 serpa tetra butterfly loach tire track eel.Its a 37 gallon tank has a slate cave set up two levels to the cave some amazons ,eel grass, cork screw and other plants id say medium planted. camera batterys dead sorry !

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Weird that your nitrates are zero. Is the tank heavily planted? What species are these loaches? Some can be notoriously aggressive actually.

rjnxr7

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
its not really heavily planted id say medium .there was not a mark on him he just had a green film on him and he was swiming around like he was drunk .The loaches one pair is a striata the other looks like them with a different strpe pattern

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Do you have pics of your loaches? Problem is elephant nose are pretty sensitive to water conditions and may also have felt harassed by its other tankmates' constant movements especially one involving loaches.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I had a shrewd suspicion your loaches are yoyos (Botia almorhae). Yes, they can be very boisterous fish. It is possible your loaches chased it constantly around. If you want to try another elephant nose, get another tank for it. Did your previous ones eat a lot?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store