Questions on Anubias, Java fern, Crypts, & Amazon Sword

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
My question is with these plants:

Should I anchor them into the substrate or should I just let lay loosely on the substrate? Also, I have heard many people talking about tying these plants to decor but what does everyone use to do this?

Right now I have everything in the substrate...........should I consider moving things around?

I have 80 watts of 6500K over my 55 gallon right now. The temp is about 77 F. Thanks!

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
Yes, anubias and java fern should be attached to rocks or wood. Covering the rhizome in the substrate will cause it to rot. You can tie the plants to the decor using cotton string, clear fishing line or rubber bands. Once the plant establishes itself you can remove the thread/line/bands.

The crypt and sword should be rooted in the substrate.

zak15

AC Members
Oct 15, 2007
Dauberville, PA
I've haven't had any problem with growing anubias in gravel, in fact I only just recently tied it to driftwood. My anubias grew very well in the gravel. The java fern should be tied to rock or dridtwood though.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have very small pieces of driftwood only. All my Java fern is rooted in gravel.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
If you use a rough surface to tie the plants on, it will hold stronger and better. You can use thread or fishing line to tie them on.

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
As long as the rhizome are not covered by the substrate, anubias and java fern will be fine... The roots on the other hand can be buried under the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store