What do your Pl*cos and Loaches eat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dhgyello04

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
Manteca, CA
I am looking for foods to feed my Pl*cos and loaches (veggies). Right now I am feeding zucchini and would like to change it up a bit. Right know I have the following:

Clown loaches
Botia loache
Kulie loaches
Common sailfin Pl*co
Bristlenose Pl*co
Oto’s

I noticed that in my 90 gallon that the rainbow sharks and the groumies eat it also. So what do you guys and gals feed your loaches and pl*cos

Don

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
I feed mine aquadine shrim pellets and algae wafers. They eat some of the flakes I give my other fish as well..

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I feed my Kuhli loaches live blooworms and they sometimes eat the leftover flake food I feed my other fish. I drop in Algea Wafers for my B/N Pleco but he never goes for them, yet he has a full belly since I bought him about 2 weeks ago. I guess he eats the algea from the glass. Same with my Otos.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Commercial foods, veggies, earthworms, shrimps, slices of hotdogs (occasionally) and bloodworms for loaches. Plecos get veggies, occasional bloodworms and commercial foods.

BoJangles

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
RI
pleco's can also be fed fruits, but fruits will fowl the water quality so only do it the day of or before a water change

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
what's a Pl*co?

you mean a Pleco?

:rolleyes:
There is a myth that still surrounds the pleco arena that if you type the word 'pleco', your plecos will die so they type pl*co instead.lol It's superstitious nonsense and pure coincidence someone's plecos died from other factors, not because he typed the complete name.

DeeSeven

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
CT
squash, mango, cucumber, collared greens, red and green peppers, zucchin, sweet potatoes

wash everytime (duh) and microwave it for a little bit to soften it up then stick a spoon handle thro it and drop it in before the lights go off and take it out in the morning

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Sailfin plecs also need wood to rasp on. I like to have driftwood in any tank with a pleco, just in case. Besides, I find that most like to hide by driftwood. The following quote is from the www.planetcatfish.com profile of the sailfin plec.
Lettuce, Peas, Frozen Spinach and any prepared food that reaches the bottom. Larger fish enjoy prawns or pieces of freshwater trout. Algae (especially soft brown) will be eaten immediately.
From the same place but for bristlenoses,
It is thought that elements in bogwood, particularly lignin, may form an essential part of Bristlenose diet. Certainly they have the immensely long guts common to vegetarians, and although they fall avidly on the occasional meal of live food or prawns, the bulk of their diet must be composed of vegetable matter. If a high protein diet is fed constantly, then they will become prone to stomach disorders. Vegetable roughage keeps the gut in working order, and bogwood is a valuable addition to this.
Just about any fruit or vegetable can be fed to plecs. Many are omnivorous or carnivorous, so they will also eat bloodworms, blackworms, bits of shrimp, bits of fish, etc. Avoid fatty fish like salmon. Some find that coconut and tomato are avidly eaten, but the plec might not realize right away that it is food.

dhgyello04

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
Manteca, CA
Thank you everyone for your info...you guys rule :headbang2:... I used peas last night and they where still there this morning.

I placed a chunk of zuchini in there as well and the B/N with in 5 min. was right on it. When i woke up this morning the B/N was still on it...

Yes there is a large amount of driftwood in the tank and I see the B/N sucking on it often.

Don

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store