I need to know about breeding angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andyman98

AC Members
Sep 5, 2003
New Zealand
Visit site
It would be very good if anyone who has bred or is breeding angels tell me any info as i am interested in starting.
things like
what tank size
which angels to get
how many to have together for breeding

any info would be great thanks

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
angels like taller tanks maybe a 55 would work its easiest to get a pair buy raising up 6 juvies, you can try getting a couple bigger ones at the stores and see if they pair up once you get a pair and they are ready to breed they will probably attack anything else that comes close, put a clay pot and some pieces of slate in there they like to lay their eggs on flat surfaces.

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
angels dont spawn in caves. they spawn on flat angled surfaces. such as large amazon swords or pieces of slate lent against something.

get something like a 55 or bigger ( the bigger the better) and buy a group of juvie angels. make sure you only pick healthy ones that will eat at the store. and most important...only get ones whos colors you like! :)

feed them a variety of food. have a good flake as a staple but also use brine shrimp, blood worms and veggies as well.

when you do get a pair you should remove the other angelfish or their will be trouble....you could get away with having them in there though.

now comes the hard part. some angels dont know how to look after their babies...some do...some will take a few trys to get used to it. They are breed by so many ppl who just take the eggs out that the fry never experience the whole parenthood thing. You need to decide if you are goign to just take out the eggs and raise them in another tank or let the parents try. I suggest letting the parents try theres nothing like watching some cichlid parents look after their young. (if you are serious about this you might want to talk to some angel breeders and see if you can get some angels that WERE raised by their parents this would make this part easier.

HTH

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with all of the above so far. I am currently "breeding" angels in a very low tech, low cost set up with tanks I have around. I had two pairs in a 30g with a divider and a large sword on either side. I have seen "breeder setups" that have pairs in rows of tanks that looked like 10g's. So, I don't think a large tank is necessary for just spawning the parents. Both pairs would parent raise for a while and it was great. On the original spawn I left the fry in the tank until they were dime size and it was too much for the parents, you know how teenagers can be. Now, I would let the parents "raise" the fry until they were too large to to be picked up by the parents mouths(which is a really cool thing to see). Then transfer to another tank fpr grow out. The marble pair would spawn almost like clockwork two weeks after I took the fry out. The "blusher" pair I had weren't as regular. But, unfortunately one of those two died suddenly a little while ago. I think due to a parasite from some blackworms I was feeding a while back. I lost some pelvicachromis to it also. Now, the marble pair is in their own 45g planted corner tank, and they have been in there about a month and they do a lot of leaf cleaning, but no eggs yet.

As far as raising the fry to saleable size, the bigger the tank the better. I originally tried raising the fry in two 10g's but they grew a little quickly and then growth slowed. Now, I use a 55 I freed up to raise the fry and they grow fast!! If I had a choice to set up a small spawning set up I would use a divided 55g with two pairs spawning on swords, it looks really cool and I think the hormones or whatever released by the other fish in the tank seems to spur spawning. Then I would have a 20-30 g for initial grow out and a 55g at least to grow them out to a small saleable size. IME- it does not benefit you to grow them out past dime size. For grow out food, the best IMO is always live baby brine shrimp. I tried afew other things but not with the same success. Hatching them is a little work, but definitely worth it.

Yesterday I came to home to find that two of my four still pretty juvenile angels had spawned in my 75 g community plant tank, just like their parents did two years ago. So, know I have two pairs again and hopefully they are as good parents as they're parents have been. Spawning angels is a rewarding experience, and it seems like some of the varieties are pretty easy to spawn.

Last edited:

andyman98

AC Members
Sep 5, 2003
New Zealand
Visit site
i have brought 4 angels (1black 3 grey striped) from the lfs closing down sale i would have brought more but i decided to get some pumps and heaters.the thing is i do know what a pair would look like do they just swim closely together?

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
basically you will be able to see them both hanging out in one place. probably cleaning whatever surface they deem suitable to have their eggs on...oh and they will beat the crap out of anything that gets too near their new home! :D

thought it is highly unlikely anything will happen unless you have the appropriate spawning surfaces *see above posts*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store