bamboo shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
Needing help all! Today I went to my fave LFS to get some more otos for my tank. I was talking with my buddy who works there and was commenting on some of the other fish etc in the other tanks. Everytime I go he throws some free stuff in for me, usually stuff for my dog or a plant. Today I get home open my bag and find two bamboo shrimp a male and a female and the female is berried. They are close to full size and getting them another tank isn't an option. I have driftwood with lots of holes that my fish cannot get in but my main concern is them hurting my fish, specifically my corydoras and my otos. Will they? Here is a pic of my tank and you can see they have tons of sufficient hiding places that my honey gouramis could never get to:

Will they be okay? I know the gouramis will probably eat the babies when/if they are born and when/if they find them which is fine because I don't want a tank full of shrimp. But other than that any suggestions?

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
oh btw i know my tank looks sooo small in this pic but its a 25g lol

vmprlrd

AC Members
May 8, 2008
bamboo shrimp are extremely peaceful. I have mine with guppy fry and so far not a single problem.

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
ugh thank god. lol i like them and they are really cool looking but if they mess with my fish we were gonna have a BIG problem! They havent even really come out yet. They chose a piece of driftwood that is their home lol. When they do decide to show their funny little faces ill get some pics!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
They are filter feeders, which means that they like to sit in the current and catch particles with their little fanned out hands. If you have a place in the direct current (not hard enough to knock them over) they will sit for hours and eat. I loved to watch mine. I really miss them. Good luck and I hope you turn out to be as much a fan that I am! They will never hurt your fish!

Last edited:

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Yep, very peaceful. Since they are filter feeders you need to make sure they are getting enough to eat. I put some fry food(liquid or powder) in my tank with bamboo shrimp and it seems to do the trick. I've never had one breed before so good luck with that.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
Brackish water is required to raise the newly hatched larvae.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Bamboo shrimp need brakish water for their offspring to survive. They cannot hurt any type of fish watsoever. Good luck with yours.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Yeah, they filter feed, have no claws or pincers.
Unless you are planning on taking Extreme measures, dont expect to see any baby bamboo's survive in your tank.

BTW, bamboo shrimp are defenseless, if they can't outswim it, they're gonna become a snack.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store