I need a new filter for a planted shrimp tank, any recomendations?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
so, I have used panty hose, and sponges on my filter to keep baby shrimp out, but its almost 10 months old now(cheap one from wal-mart) and its making a very irritating sound and only trickling water out when I have the sponge on there.

I need a new one that will be good for my setup, but I dont want to spend too much on it.

The tank is a heavily planted 50g with red cherry shrimp. any suggestions?

that would be awesome if it was something I could get from petco/petsmart/petland place, I kind of need it very soon!

dingraha

Fish Fondler
Aug 21, 2008
South Jersey
I have always used aquaclear's. Great filter for the money. Petsmart and petco both sell them.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would look into using a sponge filter if the only stock is shrimp. Are there fish in the tank too? That is a nice big shrimp tank!!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
lovely tank! You could look into a canister filter for it if you want better filtration. I like my rena xp series filters. I use them on some of my larger shrimp tanks with a sponge for an aquaclear filter over the intake, or a media bag.

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
I just bought a fluval 305 canister, should I let it cycle with the previous filter running(dripping), or take the carbon out and put it in the fluval?

I just dont want to kill any of my shrimp getting this canister cycled. I still have the powerhead in there.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would just run the new filter in conjunction with the old for a week or two. Or you could put the intake covering into the new filter. Shrimp have a low bioload, so i woudl expect minimal impact even with your fish with adding a new filter. The plants and established substrate should minimize impact.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store