Help me please :( Angelfish not eating, water is perfect

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigmarc

AC Members
Jun 16, 2008
Help, I dont know what else to do. About a week and a half ago I noticed one of my angelfish was not eating. At the time he was in a 30 gallon tank with another angel, 4 tiny tetras, 2 platys, and 2 small silver dollar fish. I have had the 2 angelfish for like 6 months, I got them as babies. I actually bought 4 baby angelfish at that time but 2 died right away of angelfish disease (they had clamped fins) and the 2 I have survived. Anyway the 2 I have, have never had anything wrong until about a week and a half ago I noticed he stopped eating. I let it go for a few days but then I noticed he was started gasping, or opening and closing his mouth much faster than usual. I went to my pet store and I told them whats happenning. They measured my water and told me that he has good news and bad news. The good news was that my water levels measured perfect. My PH is 7.5 and I keep the tank at 80-82 degrees. He said I am a great fish owner and I should continue to do what I am doing. The bad news was that my water levels are not whats causing the fish to be ill. This wouldve been easy to fix. The store had me move the fish to another tank (10 gallon) which I already had set up with water parameters same as the 30 gallon. He is still in there. for the first 4 days I was adding cure all and melafix to his tank, hoping that it would help. He seemed to be declining in strength. He was still gasping and not eating and at this point I noticed he was having long clear stringy feces coming from him. Also sometimes he was swimming at a very slight angle, sometimes with his head down. 3 days ago I read a million websites and his symptoms seemed to most closely match hexamita. So I found the cure to hexamita is a medicine called Metronidazole. The same day, I went to the pet store and bought it. They had me do a 50% water change to get rid of the cure all. Then I added it to the tank according to the instructions. Then waited 2 days (which brings me to today) and added it again, as it says to do in the directions (It wants you to add it every other day). Every day I put a few flakes of food and a few bloodworms in for him and sometimes he will go up top and I think hes going to eat but then he just goes back down and sits around. I am not sure if this is working or not. If it is working to kill the bacteria, I am afraid he might die from not eating. Is there anything else I can do???? Is there anything you think it might be???? Has anyone else had this problem???? I appreciate any help you can give.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Welcome to AC, I would make a post in general freshwater or cichlids with your tank specs and parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings). I wish you all the best with your fish and hope you get the help you need!

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Hello, :welcome: to AC.

Sorry to hear about your angel problems. I agree with msjinkzd you should make a post in the general freshwater or cichlids sections, you will get a much better response there. Sorry again but i don't know how to help.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Hello..........:welcome: