Saved 2 GSPs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
I hate to say it but I went into my local walmart tonight and they had 5 or Green Spotted Puffers in the tank with one cichlid. I could not stand to see that, so I asked the guy working how much they were, need less to say he did not know so he went and got his manager. His manager couldnt find the price on his list of fish so he told the guy working to give them too me for the price of the feeder goldfish. Yes that means $.28, so I too two of them home for a total of $.56. So for the time being I know they are in a 10 gallon, which is better than the 2.5 they were living. So I guess my question is what do I need to do to make these fish happy in their new home until I can get them there correct size of home? I will post pictures of them once they have been in the tank for a while. Thanks in advance for the help.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
they grow to 6 inches give or take so for the 2 of them (assuming they get along) i would say a 55g should suffice. as they get older they need more and more salt in there water. they are a high end brackish species that can live in full seawater as well. feed hard-shelled crustaceans as the bulk of the diet. they wont eat flake food. freeze dried krill works as well as cocktail shrimp, clams, etc

ryverrat

AC Members
Feb 14, 2008
You want to get them into low end brackish soon- will help with their health. Also due to their messy eating creating a big bioload for 2 fish, you should look at housing them in a 30g. I had a lot of water quality issues with 1 in a 10g. As far as food, mine eat brine shrimp, bloodworms, mussel, squid, shrimp (all frozen-some from the supermarket), live brine shrimp, and live snails-the most important part of their diet. For more info on them go to:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Nigroviridis/

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I hope you put them into a cycled tank, otherwise they really aren't much better off then they were in Walmart. I refuse to even walk into their store. "Saving" fish only tells the store that they are good sellers, so next time they buy even more to mistreat & kill. Better off supporting a Ma & Pop store who keeps their puffers healthy & happy, preparing the proper sized cycled tank to take them home to.
An Introduction to Green Spotted Puffers

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
They went into a well cycled tank, I just have adjust the water slowly to brackish water, I am thinking of getting a new tank for them right now they are in a 10g until I can get them a bigger tank I have a 55g that I Have to reseal that I was going to put my balas in but I might be putting them in that, once I get it fixed.

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
What should I feed these little guys for the time being, I have been giving them brine shrimp for now, I was going to get some brine shrimp and some snails tonight to put in the tank with them. I am going to be resealing a 55g tank for them, and then getting the tank set up for them. What do i need to do to make sure these guys have the best home possible?

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Food should be meaty foods. Frozen and then thawed blood worms, mysis shrimp, people shrimp, clams, snails, mussels, etc. all work well. Stray from feeding these guys brine shrimp as the staple of their diet - it's not very nutritious at all. Key to keeping these guys healthy and happy is to vary their diet. Feed once a day, six times a week (skipping one day for fasting). I assume you know about the puffer teeth - in order to keep them worn down, feed them shelled foods (snails, clams, mussels, live food such as ghost shrimp, etc.)

In regards to setting up the best home possible for these guys is a heavily decorated tank - give them lots of places to hide, lots of breaks in sight, etc. I use aragonite sand which helps to buffer the pH of the water near 8.0. Some like to use crushed coral as well - that's totally up to you. Because these guys are such messy eaters, over-filtration is essential - as well as 50% weekly water changes.

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
Ok I was going to use pool sand for a substrate. Can I use MTS to stir up my gravel and as food at the same time. Along with putting some ghost shrimp in the tank as food. I have a canister filter on my 45 now that is rated up to 320 Gph do you think that is enough for the tank or should I take my Penguin 350 off of my 45 planted tank and put it and a Whisper 60 on my 55g that these guys will be in? Which the one canister filter can handle my 45 with no issues so these will not be missed.

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
I hope you put them into a cycled tank, otherwise they really aren't much better off then they were in Walmart. I refuse to even walk into their store. "Saving" fish only tells the store that they are good sellers, so next time they buy even more to mistreat & kill. Better off supporting a Ma & Pop store who keeps their puffers healthy & happy, preparing the proper sized cycled tank to take them home to.
An Introduction to Green Spotted Puffers
Just to let you know wal-mart never even knew what type of fish this was, not even on there order list, I did talk to the manager and informed him that the conditions of the tanks were cruel and they need to be by themselves.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Pool sand should be okay. As far as MTS, I would avoid them at all costs. They reproduce one to a million and will take over your tank in a week. Furthermore, MTS snails should be avoided as food to puffers for their shells are very thick and there have been stories of puffers who have broken their beaks on the shells. If you're looking for snails to churn the sand, you can acclimate Nertite Snails. Not only can they adapt to brackish, they will do a wondrous job of cleaning your tank. As far as snail as food......I normally feed my puffers pond snails (as big as their eye). I usually get those for free from Petsmart/Petco. They usually will give these out for free since they're consider "pests".

As far as the filters, I would wait until someone else chimes in for I really do not know much about canister filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store