thinking of getting a fire eel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rjnxr7

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Im thinking of getting a fire eel but not sure if my 75 gallon tank is big enough? what is the smallest fish that they wouldnt eat ? Are my sword tails and plecos gona get eaten id appreciat any help thanks.:confused:

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Chicago - Windy City, USA
The internet says minimum 50 gallon tank. Also says its a semi agressive fish, so best kept with other semi aggressive fish.

But I'm sure there are experts here that know what is best. I'm sure they can help better than I can.

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
Well, being that I have seen molly's take out plecos, if they are semi-aggressive then i would advise against swordtails and pleco. You will have to plan your tank according to their temperment (I.e. other semi-agressive fish). This means perhaps gourmi's, angels, mollys, etc. Good luck with your tank.

SubluxT7:headbang2:

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Fire eels can reach 3feet and anything that can fit in their mouths will. I don't think I would call them aggressive only because they really don't have anyway to attack or hurt something that won't fit in their mouths. They also have no way of defending themselves so make sure they have lots of places to hide. I would think a full grown fire eel could easily eat mollys and swordtails. The pleco would depend on the size.

P.s. make sure you tank is well covered because spiney eels will find any opening and jump.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I've got a 16" Fire eel that I'm keeping with other oddballs in a 50 breeder (same footprint as a 75). Granted yes he could stand a bigger tank but it is definitely ok. Once he gets to 20" I'll move him to something else.

Not aggressive at all, but yes they will eat any other fish that will fit in their mouth. Aside from that they are very picky eaters. Mine will only eat worms, tried several other raw foods but it will not take them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store