question on heaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Chicago - Windy City, USA
I bought a used 40 gallon tank. I got 2 heaters along with it.

Both heaters are 300W.

One is a vista therm, the other is a Topfin

Which one should I use? Is one brand better than the other?

Both can be submursed under water.

Nips

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
A 300 watt'er is a big heater for a 40 gallon, but if you do use it, i would go with the Visi-therm... you may just want to go pick up a 200 watt heater or even a 150.. it depends on the room temp and how much it varies.....:idea:

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Visi therm, is it the non-glass type? I hate the glass heaters, they always shatter on me...

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
300 is alot for the 40 as pointed out. Visi-Therm gets rave reviews and high marks from most people. As far as size goes, I figure 5 watts per gallon for the size I need.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Go with the visi-therm. :thm:

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Both of the heaters are glass.

With the AC on, the apartment is around 72-74.

In the winter time, the landlord controls the heat. It can be around 60, or when the radiators kick in, it gets so warm I have to open the windows. I only use the 2 small radiators, I dont even use the large one in the living area.

The person I bought the tank from had a 90 gallon tank. He said the person who bought the 90 gallon didn't want the filters or the heaters for it.

I might look into a better wattage heater for the 40 gallon

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
No need to get a new heater. They are both capable of heating a 150g or better. i have a 250w on my 220g and it works well. i hardly ever see it kick on and my house is a steady 70F.
Just because it's more than you need doesn't mean it can't be used. They have a thermostat same as a 50w heater. I have a 250w visi-therm on a 20 gallon, just because it's the only extra heater I had. It's fine. In fact it will work great on a 40g. Because it will heat the water faster and more easily than a smaller one, it will run for shorter periods of time. probably using less energy than a smaller one.

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks Alan and everyone else.

I will use the Vista Therm!! The other will be a spare! or for when I get another tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store