Tankmates for a Red Terror

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
I'm in the process of setting up a new 125G long aquarium. I bought it specifically to house a juvenile wild Red Terror - something I didn't think I'd ever come across here in Canada.

My original plan was to add a juvenile Jaguar as well, and I'm still probably going to do that, but is there anything else I can add? Two fish in a big tank like this seems...boring.

Any suggestions?

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
hmmm i dont think your choices are really open right now

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
OK I decided that I'm going to add some red hook silver dollars because apparently they are appropriate dither fish for these brutes.

But here's another question. I'm hoping to get a female red terror because they're a little smaller and apparently a lot more colorful. Would a male jaguar work? Again, I have read that they're more colorful so I would definitely prefer that, but I don't know if males are more aggressive than females, which is the case with the red terrors.

I'm getting pretty excited. The new tank is really nice - I have black background and Tahitian Black Moon sand as substrate, so I think the darkness is really going to bring out the colours in the fish.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
I don't think it would be a good idea to put a Festae (red terror) with a jag in a 125G as adults, regardless of gender. It will depend on the individual temperament of the fish, but I think it is very unlikely to work as the fish reach maturity. They are both super aggressive and territorial, and a 6' tank just isn't enough territory for 2 aggressive cichlids that get really large. Plus, festaes are notoriously sloooow growers and jags are notoriously fast growers, so if you got 2 juvies around the same size the jag would soon be twice the size of the festae which probably will result in death of festae. As for the male/female thing, indeed male jags tend to be more aggressive than females, and female festaes are more colorful than the males - but I thought at maturity, female festaes were actually more aggressive than the males? I could be wrong though, I'm no expert.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add I think RH silver dollars would be good dithers for the festae, and I agree that black substrate and black background are the way to go to bring out color!

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
Make sure you're really getting a red terror when you get around to making the purchase. They're commonly confused with Mayan cichlids.

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
do you have any pics? sounds like it could just be another common name for Red Devils.
I guess you aren't a cichlid person... Red Terrors are Amphilophus Festae.

A breeding pair would be nice. Females are gorgeous when they breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store