Freshwater Moray Eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscarfish1395

AC Members
Aug 23, 2008
i was at my lfs today and saw what they said was a freshwater snowlflake moray eel. i have looked them up but all i can find about them is that they really aren't moray eels. what are the care and tank size requirements for these fish, what can the be kept with, and how big do they get?

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
I had two of these "freshwater moray" eels a long time ago. I had two in a long 40ish gallon tank. Mine grew about 2 feet before I had to move and give them away so they might get a lot larger.

These guys pretty much eat anything... Fish guts, squid, shrimp, etc. I usually just gave em whatever fishing bait was left over. They'd get in a frenzy if I gave em fish guts. They tend to eat at night at first but you can train them to be hand fed. Mine wouldn't eat feeder guppies after I started hand feeding them because they got too lazy to chase after em. Some owners will scatter the food around to stimulate hunting behavior but mine were too spoiled.

I think they prefer slightly brackish water but I'm not sure. They absolutely need caves/rocks/hidey holes since they're eels. Overall they were extremely hardy.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
They need brackish water as juvies and full salt as they grow into adulthood. I've also heard feeding is hit or miss, either they eat good or they won't eat at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store