Pairing up Clownfish (ocellaris)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
If you put in a bigger clownfish, and a smaller clownfish, how long does it normally take for the two to pair up. Also, how often does it usually take for them to start laying eggs?

Thanks!

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I think it has more to do with being male or female than being bigger or smaller...

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Ya everyone is right...my pair were the same size when I got them...they would just always be together away from the rest of the group at the store and they were the same size and both small...my female died recently though. = (

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
i have a threesome!!! lol ! i have three black n white clowns that swim together sleep together ! as far as i know the big one the male the meduim females the small female too! the big and med been togher for years the small one been with them for 3 months now think they think its thier baby!

yunachin

Takifugu Ocellatus Addict
Your biggest clownfish is going to be your female with the next in size the male. Other clowns in the tank are juveniles which are no sex. If the female would die the male would take the place of her. The actual change takes about a month to complete. Once a female is a female she cannot change back into a male. Once a male is a male he cannot change back into a juvenile. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store