Darn, I think it's dropsy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nottingham

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
My poor little ryukin from Walmart has been such a trooper, but I fear this is the beginning of the end. He's been pine-coned for about 3 weeks now, started getting bubbles under his scales two days ago. I feel terrible as I was slow to act (right now I'm working full time, taking 15 credts including three labs and applying to grad school. I'm barely managing to take care of myself). I've managed to be consistent with water changes every week, actually switched it to every 3 days since he pine-coned. I read on here to add salt, which I'm going to do tonight. I have a black moor in with him who is showing no ill signs, should I be QTing my sick fish? It sickens me to say this but I can't afford the time or the money to do any outlandish, gung-ho rescue efforts. Is there anything else I can do, to at least make him comfortable? :( Is it premature to put him out of his misery? He's definitely not doing well physically but he's still bopping around, trying to eat, trying to wedge himself in his ornament (he's always done this).

FYI I have a 30 gal with Penguin 200 Bio-wheel. Water params are good, both fishies get fed once a day roughly 1/3 tsp Hikari lionhead pellets. I've tried feeding all manners of veggies but they refuse to eat them. I was doing about a 40-45% WC once a week, would this be too much of a shock to his system? I bought this guy from walmart a year ago and he's had a whole HOST of issues (hence his name Speshul Steve), is it possible that this dropsy is a result of a weakness genetically?

Boo, I feel bad :(

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
I think youre doing everything you can. If he takes a turn for the worse, I would defintely euthanize him.. sorry youve had him for so long and hes sick..

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Dropsy is such a tough problem to solve - I'm amazed that your fish has survived three weeks after first showing pineconing. Generally fish only last a day or two at most beyond the pinecone stage.

Since you've been able to up your water changes to every 3 days, that should have taken care of any water quality issues. That points to a possible bacterial infection, especially since your moor is not affected. You could try a medicated food. Jungle Labs Antibacterial is sold in most LFS, it's relatively cheap and has worked well for me in the past. If you can't find Jungle Labs, any antibacterial food will do. You might also try a Maracyn/Maracyn 2 regimen. They work together as a broad-spectrum antibacterial treatment, and can be extremely powerful when used with an antibacterial food.

Best of luck.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
:iagree: Only thing to add would be to forgo the use salt for epsom salts. Salt will do nothing to alleviate the swelling and will only serve to further stress the kidneys.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Dropsy is a tough one. I just lost a fish I've had for eight years to it. Heartbreaking really. If your fish has had a virus or bacterial infection in the past year sometimes it can cause kidney damage. Then even though you got it through the initial infection the kidneys can slowly shut down. This can happen several months later take several weeks to until they finally succumb.

Sorry to see hear about you going through this.

Nottingham

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
Just to update, I've put him in a rubbermaid tub with a heater (set at 78) and an airstone. I'm medicating with Maracyn 2 (NO LIGHT, I know) and epsom salts. Also feeding medicated fish food. Doing a 90-95% WC everyday (should I do 100%? Don't want to hurt him). Moor is still fine. My attempts this late in the game may be futile but he's still eating, still swimming. A little confused I think. I just couldn't not do anything, poor guy is my responsibility. Now that I've got myself kickstarted with this problem, maybe the motivation to finish writing my personal statement will come.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Keep it up! Don't give up, maybe he'll pull through.

Nottingham

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
He's gone :(

Thank you all so much for your help. He was looking a lot happier yesterday and I was so optimistic. I wish that I had taken action earlier, but at least I know that I gave it my best shot once I found out he had dropsy. Steve, you were speshul in the greatest sense of the word.

Barry (my moor) has been moping since I took Steve out. I'm watching him like a hawk and doing extra water changes just in case. Pardon my ignorance, but do goldfish need/want/prefer company? I have an overfiltered 30G so I have enough tank space for another goldie. I'm a little hesistant because of my time/money limitations; it's great when all is well and peachy but I'm just...limited in what I can do when things go pear-shaped.

Last edited:

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Sorry to hear about your loss. Almost all of us in this hobby have been there many times.

Goldfish do like company but they like space even more. 30 gallons is pretty tight but two fancy slow moving fish can get along in there. If possible keep your eye's open for a 55 gallon so you can keep 3 fish. Large frequent water changes are required regardless of the filtration when you are pushing the stocking level.

Just remember to QT your new tankmate when you add the new one in. It would be a shame to lose more due to disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store