Tiger shrimp tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I would like to set up a tank for tiger shrimp, but am running out of room to give them their own space. I know they are a caridinia species and can be mixed with neocaridina shrimp without me having to worry about cross-breeding. Currently I have neocaridina Yellow shrimp, neocaridina Cherry shrimp, and what I think are neocaridina Blue/Black shrimp (courtesy of msjinkzd!). I have all three separate from one another, living in my hard tap water and all seem to be doing well. I would like to be able to set a tank up catering to Tiger shrimp (low pH, soft and slightly acid) where they could be happy and breed, but I would also like it if I could put one of my neo species in that same tank and have them live ok, too. I think (not sure about yellow shrimp) that cherry/yellow/blue black shrimp like harder water better, but could they tolerate lower ph’s? What is the lowest pH neo shrimp can handle where they will still be somewhat happy? What ph are Tiger shrimp happiest at, and is there a medium I can reach for tigers and neos? Last question is, what is a somewhat easy way to maintain soft water for tigers? Do I really need to go RO or can I just get a special substrate, etc.?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
What size tank are you planning?
One option, although expensive, may be to try something like ada aquasoil for the substrate. Supposedly (I haven't used it) this will help lower your pH. What is your pH and hardness of your water now? That information will make it easier to come up with a strategy for you. I would shoot for a pH of around 7 and both should do ok.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
My pH is around 7.6 or a little higher and it's fairly hard (don't know exact dH and kH). I would like to have the tigers in a 10g or one of my 5g tanks, depending on how I can switch my fish around. I'd like to shoot for the 10.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store