Snails for planted tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
I want something cute like mystery snails, but the lfs told me that they will eat all my plants. They also told me apple snails will eat my plants and that they are illegal.

Are there any other choices for cute snails? :D

Thanks!

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
The only plants that my Mystery snails have nibbled on have been the dying leaves on Anubias (I keep several varieties). They leave the healthy leaves alone. They also don't touch the Moneywort, Pennywort, or the Creeping Charlie. I give my snails fresh vegetables several times a week, and they only like those if they are blanched.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Another choice for you would be "Anentome Helena" or "Assasin snails". They are meat eaters, and would eat any pond snails that you might have on your existing plants. They are small and very interesting looking!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Pomacea Bridgesii ("mystery" snails) are plant safe but there are other species of apple snail which are not. The non-plant safe variety are not comm only found in pet stores. Assassin snails are an option, as are nerites. There is a wider range of nerite snails available now. They are very efficient algae eaters and although they lay eggs in fw, the eggs will not hatch into viable young.

edit: for the record I have had apple "mystery" snails in all of my planted tanks with no issues. As stated, they do not eat healthy plants.

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
I have mystery snails and they dont touch my plants so i think your LFS is full of it (or maybe im just lucky).

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
That's so good to know. I saw the CUTEST little snail (wasn't really all that little) and really wanted him. My tank isn't ready yet, but when it is, I hope that guy is still there.

They only had the mystery snails, olive snails (not very cute), and trapdoor snails. I'll have to keep a lookout for the others you have mentioned.

My plants are all very healthy and doing well. I have 65w over a 29 and they are growing like mad. I dosed with some flourish to get rid of some bad stuff growing and now the plants are going even more crazy. I've already cut them once. They grew from half my tank size to the top in about 2 weeks.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
There are other nerite snails out there other than the olives

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store