Anybody know anything about purple spotted gudgeon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The scientific name is Mogurnda mogurnda. The store I work at just got some in and I wanted to know something about them. The only thing I know is that they get around six inches and are mainly carnivorous.
So does anyone know anything about tank mates, water requirements or anything else important?
Thanks

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
I used to have one when I had my aussie native tank. They live in the creek behind my house, I think the ones here are technically M. adspersa but close enough.
Not too fussy about water conditions, prefer it around neutral but they are pretty hardy.
Will eat just about anything, pellets, frozen food etc. Should be given a mainly meaty diet. They will eat small fish and shrimp if they can catch them.
Not an aggressive fish, they can get a bit grumpy but overall a good community fish. Just watch them around peaceful slow moving fish.
Like places to hide. Once they are settled in they will come out most of the time, they get pretty used to their owner and have plenty of personality.
I had mine in a 55g, perfect size for an adult. I'd say a 30g would be minimum. When they get to around 4 inches their growth rate slows right down, they do get bigger but I haven't seen one much bigger than that.

My old fellow.

Trout Gudgeon 1.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store