Why does only one fish get sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
Whenever I try to add a butterfly or angel fish to my tank they always end up getting ich, but the other fish in my tank are fine. I have a maroon clownfish, a firefish and a fairy wrasse that have been in the tank for almost a year without getting ich. I bought a juvi Klein's butterfly to help get rid of my aiptasia and two days after I bought him, I notice a couple spots on his tail. He eats very well though and I've been feeding garlic soaked foods. He showed no signs of ich in the LFS. Are butterflies just more susceptible to getting ich?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
It depends on the species and their immune system. With ich, all fish around the main tank are guaranteed to be infected. Butterfly fish are sensitive to water conditions. I found this out at least in my experience when I had them before.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Like said in the post above...

Some fish are more likely to stress out than others. The more stress the lower their immune system gets. Moving tanks is a sure way to stress out a fish. That is why the new one is the one showing symptoms. Other reasons include, bad water quality, different lighiting schedule, temp fluctuations, salinity fluctuations, ph swings. The ich is present in your tank or fish already. It generally lies dormant, or the fish in good health is able to fight it off on its own, untill stress is introduced.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Most butterflies are notorious for not being "aquarium" safe. Yes, there are definately success stories out there, but in my experience, far more death stories than success ones.. talking 90% death with most butterflies in an aquarium. To top that off, your putting it in a 40G tank? For a Klein's butterfly it lists Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallons. I would definately think 100G+ is much better than 50G for that fish. While the Klein's is one of the better ones to chose from, much better than a copperbanded, it is still a touchy type of fish that really needs its needs met for success.

Also, you have a maroon clown in the same tank.. definately a very aggressive fish, which on top of putting a butterfly in a tank too small for it which causes severe stress to the fish, it is more than likely also getting harrassed by the clown. Double whammy almost guaranteeing death to any butterfly in that tank.

Angels on the other hand.. while almost as bad as Tangs when it comes to ich, are usually hardier than butterflies depending on the type of angel (Dwarf I hope). Still, angels can also be touchy fish to get established, but once they do they usually last a long time. You may want to consider changing out the maroon clown for one a little less agressive like an ocellaris. Otherwise your going to have a hard time finding acceptable "friends" to put in the same tank.

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
The butterfly seems to be more aggressive to the clown than the other way around. It doesn't look like anyone bothers the butterfly. I was only planning to use the butterfly to eat the aiptasia and then trade him in when he gets too big or until my other 55 gal is ready for fish.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ah, ok then, they are great for getting rid of aiptasia and a lot people do exactly what your doing, get a butterfly to clean up the aiptasia problem and bring back to LFS for credit.

Then to answer the original question, yes, butterflies are definately more likely to get ich than most other fish. Tangs being the only ones I think show ich more. I would suggest adding a cleaner shrimp or IMO even better, a small cleaner wrasse to your tank to help get rid of any external ich showing. Keep feeding garlic soaked food as well.

Still say think of getting a different clown.. speaking from experience. I had a maroon clown for 6 years, and it is now in a new 225G aggressive reef home somewhere else. I understand the attraction, especially when juvi's, but after a year or two they really turn into bullys in the tank. Not saying what you have to do to have a successful tank, just giving you a heads up from my experience. All fish are different and you may have a very peaceful one, but I have not seen that to be the case when they turn into adults.

Last edited:

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the advice. I've had my clown for about a year and a half now and so far he hasn't bothered anyone, but I have wondered what he will be like when he gets older. I used Quick cure for a couple days and the ich went away, but then it came back again today. So I'm just going to try the quick cure again but for a longer duration this time. I know its not good to use in the main tank but it hasn't seemed to affect anything the times before when i used it.

I was actually going to add a cleaner wrasse or cleaner shrimp too. But they just eat the external parasites correct? So basically its helping to get rid of it but it won't cure ich on their own?

I think in the 8 years I've been keeping saltwater fish, I've never had a fish eat so much as the klein's butterfly lol. In three days he has already eaten all the aiptasia (I had a lot too) plus he eats the flake food and mysis shrimp way more than any other fish I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store