Snail ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
Well I was looking in my tank this morning to check my fish, when I spotted something weird on the glass...After looking at it from both sides, I realized it was a baby snail (I haven't added plants since the 13th, and didn't see any snails on any plants I have added thus far nor in the tank till today). After glancing at the rest of the tank, I found another larger snail in my filter intake tube...these are the only two I've seen, problem is I don't know what type they are (or how they got here).

The first baby snail...fuzzy cause it's too small for my camera to find and focus on it. Doubt it'll help with an ID, but the next set of photos should.

Here's the one I found in my filter intake...hope the picture is clear enough for you snail experts.

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
Can you get a pic of it with it in the palm of your hand?
The little one is so small (about a grain of sand or two) that I doubt I'd be able to get him off the glass without crushing him. The other one is INSIDE the filter tube, and last time I tried to take those two apart (to get all those needles that got stuck) I nearly broke my fist through the side of the tank...and I really don't want to take the filter apart just to get to the snail right now...if he comes out, it'll be the first thing I do.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Newly hatched pond snail I believe.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I think so as well, its likely there were eggs on the plants you got. They shouldn't be problematic if your plants are healthy and y our maintenance routine is good.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
Pond snail their shells are kind of see thru....

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Pond snails are sinistral rather than dextral, so they're pretty easy to ID. If you are looking at the snail with its shell opening facing you and its spire is pointing up, the opening will be on the left side of the axis- like this:

If the opening is on the right, it is not a pond snail.

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
S/he/it hadn't moved from the filter tube all day, so I decided to try and pull it off and get to the snail...in the process the snail fell into the substrate somewhere behind the heater and I couldn't find it. Saw another larger one on the heater's power cable, but when I tried to grab that one it fell down and got lost in the substrate too...hopefully they'll climb somewhere more reachable next time. (that back corner of the tank is a PITA to get to)

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Put a piece of cuc or zuchini in there, you'll catch them easier that way. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store