What is a synodontis lace catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I saw these at Walmart, and they looked pretty cool. But, I can't find anything about them! At Walmart, they were labeled Synodontis Lace Catfish. They were about 1"-1.5" at the store. They were black with, I think, light gray stripes in crazy patterns.

Any ideas? I'm just curious really, but I may in the far future get some from a more reputable dealer.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
What size is your tank? Because they grow to a very good size about 12".

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I wasn't going to get any now or even in the near future. I don't have room in any of my tanks. Nor do I think any of them would be big enough. My largest is the 75g I'm planning, which my plan wouldn't accommodate them anyway. I'd have to get a new tank if I wanted them.

But if I did, what size tank would be appropriate? And what's the scientific name? Or at least, the more common name?

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
They don't look anything like those pictures. Unless the juvenile coloring is different, I doubt that they are the same fish. I'll see if I can maybe sneak a pic.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
"Lace" catfish is a generic common name for a variety of species. Take a look at S. eupterus, (google, "images", 3rd page) and see if the juvies look like the ones you spotted at Wal-Mart.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Yes, the juvenile pic of the S. eupterus does look quite like the ones at WM. Are there any catfish that keep that pattern and color through adulthood? I didn't care for the adult coloration of the S. eupterus, but if there's something that is more like the juvenile, that would be awesome!

I wonder how many people buy those cute little catfish at WM and are completely surprised to end up with a large fish that looks so different from what they bought.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
There are hundreds of different species of Synodontis, but most aren't generally available (particularly at Wal-Mart.) S. eupterus is a commonly available species, along with nigriventris (upside-down cats) and the mixed species of "lace" cats.
Wal-Mart also sells a similar-looking fish, the Asian upside-down catfish. They're black with a few metallic specks on the body. They aren't Syno's, and are generally more aggressive, particularly toward their own species. Buying 2-3 will soon end up as 1 that has killed the others. They do make good tankmates for larger cichlids though.

purplegirl

Registered Member
Mar 10, 2010
If I haqve one in my planted 29 gal- a lace catfish form Wal mart, that is-should I be finding a new home for it? I hope it isn't the kind of catfish that tears everything up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store