Newbie looking for a shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hello AC Members!
I was debating whether I should post this in Newbie but I figured the invertebrate portion takes priority. I have a 29 gallon tank that is running really well thanks to this forum, and am looking to add something other than a fish to it. This is the beginning of my second year in the hobby and have had many loses with roughly 3 original survivers. I did have a African Dwarf frog which was very neat, but he didn't survive the move from my original ten gallon to my thirty gallon. SO, enough of the past. Anyone have any interesting suggestions for a shrimp or frog to add to my tank. I really am interested in visual appeal, but obviously tempermant, hardyness, and "the best fit" take priority over anything else. I do plan on adding one more female guppy and one more female platy, but rather than buying one the two I have are pregnant, and I am just gonna raise a few, snag two females (one of each) and sell/donate the rest to friends/pet stores.

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS/LADIES! :headbang2:

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

This is a month old picture of my tank.
I have the beta in the plastic breeder cage next to the filter, and have added the pleco and beta since this picture. Also, the silver-tipped in the beta tank has been donated to a pet store due to temperment/bullying issues, and I also added three neon tetras since this picture. Also, the Java moss was added to the front/middle left of the drift wood without covering any of the three holes in it. Plus, I spread the Wisterea out so it lines the whole back of the tank instead of just the back of the left half. Just incase any of that info helps people with their suggestions!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i really like my cherry shrimp, but i'm not sure how well shrimp would do in your tank. they are usually better off in a species tank, especially if you want to breed them. you might want to add a couple of cheap ghost shrimp to see how they make out with the tank mates before adding some more expensive species. if you still have the ten g kicking around you could make that into a shrimp tank and it won't take long for them to start breeding. that way you could add some to the main tank when the babies grow and not have to worry much about them getting picked off by the fish.

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hope this helps msjinkzd,
One Clown Pleco, One Beta, Two Platys' (1 Female, 1 male [soon to be 2 females]), Two Balloon Mollies, Two Neon Dwarf Guarmis (SP), Two Guppies [1 Male, 1 Female [soon to be 2 females]), Six Neon Tetras, and One Indian Glass Fish.

The picture should show how planted except imagine how the Wisteria is lined along the back, and extend it by three more plants. What I did was trimmed a few of the long ones I had in there and the replanted the tops along the back right have. The thing frows like a weed so doing that is not a problem. Also, the Java moss hasn't technically come in yet. It is supposed to come in the mail tomorrow thur monday. So I should have it soon. I guess saying low to medium would have been an easier answer.

Blue,
I am not really interested in having more than one tank. I am a college student living in an apartment, so I have limited budget and only make one year living commitments. Really I am looking for visually appealing hardy fish that can make the moves from one place to the next. I use the 10 gallon as a temperary home for my fish while the 30 gallon cycles at my new place. At least that is what I have been doing. I do have a 2 1/2 gallon tank that I use for a hospital tank, and am going to use for my baby guppies and platys.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Probably the only shrimps I'd suggest are larger species, maybe an Amano shrimp or a bamboo shrimp species

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I suggest adding no shrimp... maybe MTS(Malaysian trumpet snail)... they won't be eaten if they stay under the gravel, even if they do, you still have a bunch

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
if its heavily planted i would try cherry's, like said be for set you 10 gal up and start there. i wouldnt go with bamboo shrimp as there fillter feeders and need a good current and a good established tank to feed from.

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, the verdict seems to be that shrimp would be a bad idea. What about African Dwarf Frogs, or any other completely underwater frog? Does anyone think that would be a good idea? Perhaps I should just be content with what I have.

I did forget to mention however that I have a Mystery Snail in there also. I got him to test the levels before I had test kits. I doubt that would change anyone's mind but just incase thought I should include him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store