Odd, scheduled wrasse behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Everyday around 6 o'clock P.M. my wrasse starts breathing hard, hitting his head on the glass and doing back flips, causing sand to spatter all over the place...he does this until he goes to sleep, then he is fine the next day and around the same time starts again at the same time...the cycle has been going on for almost 2 weeks now I would guess.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I wish I knew. My sixline did the same, except it was usually in the morning--basically groggy behavior. I believe it is an artifact of a "shutting down" mechanism (for "sleep," that is) or something similar, but not necessarily uncommon.

chumit

AC Members
Sep 25, 2008
PA
I'm not a behavior scientist..but it's fun to theorize

My daughter was a headbanger when she was a around 1 yr. old:headbang2:, to put herself to sleep when she was a baby. It is probably totally unrelated, but if there would be any similarities in behavior, the doctor said it was to calm herself, as she was highly stimulated, and it took alot to calm her down, so the banging helped her to focus on keeping her brain free from all thought , in order to relax. Another way to look at it, is that your fish could be really bored, and looking for something to do... My dog has destructive behavior when he is bored... digging holes in the yard, sending dirt all over the place...:dog:

I don't have a wrasse, but he sounds like a lively, interesting guy. Does he pick on any of the other fish? I'd rather have a fish do what urs does than aggressively bang into another fish, as I have happening between a yellow tang and a Naso tang.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Ya he has started this behavior since most all my other fish died from that horrid brook outbreak after the move so maybe he is just bored with the atmosphere and misses his pals...well thanks for the replies. Makes sense and makes me feel a bit better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store