Puffy Lip on Parrot Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smilingfish

Registered Member
Sep 25, 2008
Hello everyone! This is my first post on any fish forum, and after reading several of the posts here I realize I have alot to learn.

The tank in question is my gf's 30 gallon freshwater. It has two filters on it, the first is just a basic over the side model with an intake tube sucking water in and the second is a larger filter that also rests on the lip of the tank, but this one has two spinning wheels on it. In the tank there is what I think is called an airstone? It just seems to make bubbles though.

Fish currently in the tank:
-5" "blood red" parrot that is orange. He sorts the red gravel from the black.
-4" parrot with a twisted lip, although he has always had this deformity
-2 parrots that are more orange, about 3" each. One of these has a white spot/patch on his side that doesn't look like ich AND has a white swollen lip all of a sudden.
-2 flower horn style parrots
-3" clown loach
-a 2 - 3" Scat(sp?)
-Black Ghost who just hides now.
-3-4" pleco.

It seems like alot, but we had even more fish in the tank for months and months until just recently when friends and family pressured us into giving some away. The water parameters were actually fine and the water had been crystal clear. They never fight although the big parrot will chase fish away from whatever spot he's sorting the gravel in.

Well about 3 weeks ago she decided to treat the catfish we had for what looked like pop eye. His eye looked like it was frosted over and swollen. She used Melafix or Melafin something like that and the water became very cloudy. The treatment lasted for perhaps 5 days maybe a bit longer. After a 50% water change the tank was still very cloudy, and the problems really began.

The first thing I noticed was the change in the behavior of the black ghost. He would normally charge through the other fish to get food, he would even eat from my hand. Now he just hides in the plants (plastic). I've seen him eat krill twice since that medicine treatment.

The catfish was given to a friend with a seperate tank last week and hasn't gotten better or worse. He still eats as though he were training to be Jaws' stunt double at least.

I have done 2 30-40% water changes since then and the water doesn't seem to clear up. About 16 hours ago I noticed one of the smaller parrots had a swollen lip as well as a white patch on his side. After another water change, I dosed the tank with APPLUS+ Antifungus (Malachite Green, Arciflavine Hydrochloride) after removing the carbon from both filters and now the tank is emerald green.

Besides the ghost, everyone seems to be carrying on their normal routines. I am scared that whatever the catfish has/had is now infecting all the fish. If this fungus medicine doesn't work, are there other options besides removing the sick fish?

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling post. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hello everyone! This is my first post on any fish forum, and after reading several of the posts here I realize I have alot to learn.
:welcome: to AC!

The tank in question is my gf's 30 gallon freshwater. It has two filters on it, the first is just a basic over the side model with an intake tube sucking water in and the second is a larger filter that also rests on the lip of the tank, but this one has two spinning wheels on it. In the tank there is what I think is called an airstone? It just seems to make bubbles though.

Fish currently in the tank:
-5" "blood red" parrot that is orange. He sorts the red gravel from the black.
-4" parrot with a twisted lip, although he has always had this deformity
-2 parrots that are more orange, about 3" each. One of these has a white spot/patch on his side that doesn't look like ich AND has a white swollen lip all of a sudden.
-2 flower horn style parrots
-3" clown loach
-a 2 - 3" Scat(sp?)
-Black Ghost who just hides now.
-3-4" pleco.
The device that makes bubbles does sound like an airstone.

First, we'll try to address your stocking issues before we proceed to the main problem as the stock list does need sorting out before more issues approach. A lot of the fish mentioned are far too big for a 30g and also incompatible when kept together. Many fish are often sold in juvenile size but when considering a final stocklist, always look over the adult size, not the current size wherein the fish is still in growing phase.

Bear in mind, blood parrots are cichlids with various personalities so most are bound to be unpredictable and may snap at their tankmates without warning. Be careful when selecting your fish. They grow to 8-10 inches max so there is no doubt your 30g cannot handle even one.

The flowerhorn x parrot cross is also similar to blood parrots although it may be smaller but may still develop the instincts of the belligerent flowerhorns. I found these rather prone to swim bladder disorders and I will not encourage anyone to buy these fish.

Scats are brackish water fish. Although juveniles tend to do well in freshwater conditions, the salinity must be increased using marine salt and refractometer to measure the salinity level. Adults will eventually require full saltwater conditions. Scats are also vegetarians and can wipe out most aquarium plants. These also grow to 10-12 inches in body diameter so a large tank must be considered for these fish.

Black ghost knives also are another fish that need to be rehomed before they can eventually outgrow your tank. They can reach 12 inches and over. Be careful when selecting their tankmates as anything that emits electrical pulses such as morymids will only end up attacked by these fish.

Clown loaches, despite being slow growers, are not suitable for a 30g. You have other options to replace these fish. Yoyo loaches (Botia almorhae) and zebra loaches (Botia striata) are available from time to time and make suitable replacements. They grow to 6 and 4 inches respectively whereas clowns can reach 12 inches eventually. Clowns have been victims of stunting due to misinformation that they will never grow beyond 6 inches. Bear in mind, the loaches mentioned are sociable fish so keeping 3 minimum is advisable. Single fish have been known to harass other tankmates constantly to death so this must be avoided.

Your pleco is most likely one of the common species. Plecos often sold, minus the Ancistrus sp. grow to 12-22 inches depending on the species so they must also be rehomed. Besides, they also contribute too much wastes for your beneficial bacteria to handle.

It seems like alot, but we had even more fish in the tank for months and months until just recently when friends and family pressured us into giving some away. The water parameters were actually fine and the water had been crystal clear. They never fight although the big parrot will chase fish away from whatever spot he's sorting the gravel in.
What test kit are you using? Test strips are notoriously and grossly inaccurate. We recommend the liquid test kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for accurate results. Please repost ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH.

On your usual activities before the treatment course, how often do you perform water changes? How much water is replaced? How do you clean your filter? What filter media do you use? What is the temperature of the tank?

Your family members and friends were right in persuading you to give away some of the fish. Your tank is actually overstocked to be honest which is why I suggested earlier some of your fish must be replaced. If you wish to rehome them to save you the troubles, you may post a thread in Classified Ads section of this forum and another in Buy and Sell section in Monsterfishkeepers.com, our sister site.

Well about 3 weeks ago she decided to treat the catfish we had for what looked like pop eye. His eye looked like it was frosted over and swollen. She used Melafix or Melafin something like that and the water became very cloudy. The treatment lasted for perhaps 5 days maybe a bit longer. After a 50% water change the tank was still very cloudy, and the problems really began.
Popeye is caused by several factors, be it internal parasites, poor water conditions, injuries or bacteria/virus. I think you are doing the wrong approach in treating the fish. Water changes are your best defense mechanism here, not meds even if they are herbal meds. Popeye is very difficult to correct. Do the scales of the fish protrude? Is its abdomen distended?

The first thing I noticed was the change in the behavior of the black ghost. He would normally charge through the other fish to get food, he would even eat from my hand. Now he just hides in the plants (plastic). I've seen him eat krill twice since that medicine treatment.
Your BGK is stressed. As it is scaleless, it will also be adversely affected by the effects of the meds. Use activated carbon to remove the Melafix and do plenty of water changes. Again, post water parameter results.

I have done 2 30-40% water changes since then and the water doesn't seem to clear up. About 16 hours ago I noticed one of the smaller parrots had a swollen lip as well as a white patch on his side. After another water change, I dosed the tank with APPLUS+ Antifungus (Malachite Green, Arciflavine Hydrochloride) after removing the carbon from both filters and now the tank is emerald green.

Besides the ghost, everyone seems to be carrying on their normal routines. I am scared that whatever the catfish has/had is now infecting all the fish. If this fungus medicine doesn't work, are there other options besides removing the sick fish?
Could you please post a picture of the mouth? I believe your fish is suffering from columnaris rather than fungus although most antifungus meds can sort out the bacterial infection depending on the ingredients used. If your treatment fails to work, then it may be a good idea to remove the med using carbon and do water changes for a few days. Give the fish a break for at least a few days from the treatment course. Then, start trying Maracyn.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Welcome!

My advice. . . take his ^ advice!

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Same here, I totally and completely agree with Lupin. The BGK, clown loach, pleco, flower horn style parrots, and blood parrots need to be rehomed into larger homes. All of them grow way too large for a 30, and some are too large for even a 100.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store