Shrimp with other bottom feeders?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I have 9 emerald cories in a tank that is heavily planted. I also have a bushy nose pleco in this tank. I would LOVE to add some of the shrimp I see offered on this website & aquabid.

Is there any compatibility issues I need to worry about? I know nothing of shrimp and do not see any mention of aggression.

I know cories aren't bothered easy. My bushy nose pleco often ends up laying ontop of resting cories and they don't care to move...

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
the only thing i could think of, is that the cories might occasionally get a shrimpy snack... other than that, all should be well.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
It depends on who you talk to. Shrimp people (those very in to shrimp) will usually tell you that they do much better without any fish. Many of the fancier varieties are even more affected by fish.

What other fish are in the tank?
What shrimp were you thinking of?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I keep shrimp with cories and bn plecos with no issues. Is the tank to be planted and have driftwood? Often the shrimp stay in teh plants/wood. A bigger difficulty is your tank maintenance. Its so important to keep your substrate clean with bottom dwellers and good gravel vacs can be challenging in a tank with baby shrimp. Just something to think about before you get them.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I have Aquariumplants.com own substrate in the tank.

They would be housed with Cories and various community Tetra and a bn pleco. Lots of driftwood too. I don't plan on vacuuming the gravel too often if the tank is heavily planted, I thought the mulm was a good thing to leave behind for plants.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I have a fair amount of mulm - seems not to be much of an issue.

Generally speaking, cats w/ downward pointed/sucking mouths (plecos, cories, otos) - at worst, might eat an occasional juvenile that they stumble upon. As long as you have cover for the shrimp, you can get away w/ tetras and other fish that are not particularly predatory with respect to inverts (puffers, loaches, larger omnivores like SA Cichlids etc). Shrimp are amazing at hide and seek, so they are frequently there long after you might think they've all been eaten.

That said, the more fish you have, the less you will see of your shrimp.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I have 8 Kuhli Loaches and a BN Pleco with a lot of ghost shrimp, and they do fine. Your cories will appreciate the finer substrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store