Suspended Algae is not going away!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cooper

Registered Member
Dec 14, 2002
Ames, IA
Visit site
Here are my tank specs:

30 Gal
35 lbs of LR
~25 lbs of LS

8 Mexican Snails
7 Hermits
1 Emerald Crab
1 Scooter Blenny

The tank has been cycled for just over a month now. I thought I would try and add calcium to the tank. It said to add 1/4 to 2 capfuls to the tank and I only added the 1/4 of a cap, but then my water was all cloudy which I later found out was the excess calcium and that it would go away once all the little inverts used it up. Although now I have a bright green tank that I can't even see 4 inches into. I did take out my carbon filter about 3 weeks ago. Anyway, any help with the algae and the extra calcium would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Did you add pure calcium or a product like Coralvite that includes calcium along with a bunch of other nutrients?

Odds are that, if you used pure calcium, its addition is unrelated to the algae bloom. Your tank is still quite young, and it's not at all surprising to see a big jump in the amount of green algae at this point. What are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, sg) Anything out of the ordinary?

cooper

Registered Member
Dec 14, 2002
Ames, IA
Visit site
I just ran the tests and

Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia are all at 0
pH is at 8.3
Sg is 1.0245

The calcium additive that I am using is Kent Marine Liquid Calcium

Should I just wait it out or is there something I can do to help get past the algae bloom? Also, I am leaving to vacation in a week for about a week, so the tank will be left alone.

Thanks!!:D

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
yeah, leave the lights off. you can keep them on for a few hours a day to feed your fish. the algae needs light and without light the algae should be gone in about a week. good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store