Am I overstocked yet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etresintex

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Texas
I have a 40 gal tall. Fluval 204 plus a Aquaclear 200 and bubble wand for aeration.

I currently have 8 zebra danios, 4 Serpae tetras and 2 true SAE's.

I absolutely love the tetras as they add color to the tank. I only recently added them so realize I need to wait, but do I have room for a couple more? The SAE are about 7 years old and 5" long. Of course the danios are about 1-2". I ask because I have read that the tall tanks can not take as much load as the others. Tank has been running for about 3 months and was seeded from existing 10 gal. All water parameters are normal and stable. I don't want to overstock and risk the guys I have.

Opinions?

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Hmmm...I'd say you're still ok to add a couple more. I'm not sure about the SAEs though...Lets see if others who have more experience with tall tanks will chime in :)

Blue_Ram

German Blue Ram Addict
Jul 14, 2008
Oregon
I would say you still have a little more room. Maybe add a school of 6 cherry barbs or since you like tetras maybe some glowlights or neons. Cherry Barbs would add an amazing amount of color to your tank. The males get a bright red and the females are a brown to dull red with a stripe of the side.

Good Luck!

Blue_Ram

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I think you could add some more Serpaes for sure. What's your tank dimensions? My 40 is 36x18x16 they call it a "breeder". I think you could also add a larger (4-5") centerpiece fish or a group of cory cats to liven up the tank a little.

etresintex

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Texas
30x24x12 are the dimensions. My real question was if I could get away with adding 2 more serpae tetras. Guess I wasn't clear in the first post.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Watch out for those Serpae Tetras, they are relentless fin nippers. I started with 4 but once I added 3 more and got it up to 7, they schooled together and became severely territorial.

They are also very hostile towards bottom dwellers. I've tried them in 3 seperate tanks with all different fish and they have always gone after bottom dwellers & Pleco's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store