Cherry Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I have about forty... I think. There were a lot extra in my order. Some are very tiny. How big of a tank do they need? Do they do better with or without substrate in the bottom? And how powerful of a filter do I need? Are one of those dinky cheap ones okay? Assuming I cover any large intakes with tights.

Can I feed them fish flakes, shrimp pellets, and spirulina wafers with some random aquarium plants and some veggies?

If they breed like crazy, I don't want them getting demented. So do I HAVE to get new bloodlines?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I have about forty... I think. There were a lot extra in my order. Some are very tiny. How big of a tank do they need? The basic rule of thumb is 10 adult shrimp per gallon. I would give yourself alot of extra room, minimum 10g tank IMO, as they reproduce so readily. Do they do better with or without substrate in the bottom? Doesn't really matter. I use a dark substrate, bb is ok too. And how powerful of a filter do I need? Are one of those dinky cheap ones okay? Assuming I cover any large intakes with tights. I use alot of sponge filters in my shrimp tanks. Low current, no danger to babies, easy to maintain and inexpensive. Really any filter is fine as long as the babies cannot get sucked into it. Nylons (as you said), sponge prefilter, or media bag all work pretty well.

Can I feed them fish flakes, shrimp pellets, and spirulina wafers with some random aquarium plants and some veggies?
Yes, that will be fine. Try to not overfeed, secondary pests are common in invert tanks (planaria, etc).
If they breed like crazy, I don't want them getting demented. So do I HAVE to get new bloodlines?
That is debated. Its not hard to find hobbyists who will do a swaperoo to freshen bloodlines.
Comments above. Hope you enjoy them!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Where did you get yours? I've been wanting cherry shrimp for a long time, but I've never taken the leap of making a tank for them. I've always wondered how they handle shipping.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They really do quite well with shipping. Typically juvies are shipped. I have sent out thousands and only had a couple of single shrimp not make it. As long as they are acclimated carefully, they should ship just fine.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I'll vouch for that. :)

I just got my shipment from msjinkzd of Cherries yesterday. They all looked very healthy and are settled into my 10 gallon tank. Just hoping they stay under cover while they're still teeny so my guppies don't snack on them!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Cool. One day I'll get around to trying a shrimp tank. I've always loved the shrimpies, ever since I started having the intermittant ghost shrimp as a kid.

BTW, rainbow, you need a better avatar. Maybe something blue and gold....

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I ordered 20 and got about 40. Great deal but I was pretty unprepared for it.

Right now my new loaches are in my quarantine 10 gallon but I'll set it up for the shrimp after they vacate it.

Only a couple didn't make the trip. The water that they were in was really gross. Speaking of gross....

I came home to a smelly surprise in my room. The spirulina wafers I put in made the water super cloudy (it's so annoying to have to fish them out after 2 hours) and the filter stopped working. How just two and a half wafers in a five gallon with a running airstone, for just a few hours, produced that smell and cloudiness I'll never understand. I lost a few shrimp b/c of it.

I ditched that filter and put on my Aquaclear 20 (it's pretty weak) filter on the lowest flow with nylon over the intake.

I really dislike the spirulina wafers. I think they were Wardley. Are there any that don't cloud the water?

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
two and a half wafers is a huge amount to put in a 5g tank and way more than your shrimp need to eat...imo,

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
But don't they like to graze? So shouldn't I have something to leave in for them to graze on instead of giving something to them for only two hours? I can't be there to give it to them in the morning and take it out two hours later.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
They won't graze on the wafers enough throughout the day to make the whole thing disappear every, so it's best to break the wafers in halves or quarters and feed the shrimp a portion of a wafer. Shrimp will also pick at small algae on your plants and tank walls. I agree that 2 wafers is too much for your tank, even 1 whole one is too much. Shrimp don't eat that much, even when you have 30 or 40 of them. If you had more like 200 + shrimp in a 10g, then 2 wafers may be more appropriate, but I don't know for sure. I don't have even close to that many myself (yet!).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store