Aww, sick goldfish fry..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I got this tiny calico fancy goldfish, her body is less than an inch long.
She is very listless, I cannot see anything wrong with her at all, she is very hungry, I gave her a tiny bit of goldfish food 3 times today.. Other than keeping the water clean, anything else I should do to give her a better chance?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
That's about it, BG.... provide a clean environment and feed her good food and she should be ok... might want to add a blanched veggie once a week or so. As long as she is eating and her environment is clean, there should be no problems. I am assuming you've checked the water parameters, right?

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Yep, 0 amm and nitrites, nitrates are low sincethe tank is so heavily planted.. PH is 6.9-7.2.. I was going to give her a tiny bit of pea today, she's so little.. the LFS gave her to me because they thought she'd just die anyway.. seeing as they were feeding all of their fish weekend feeders in a net no wonder she didn't get much food.

I think she may be a ryukin, all it said was fancy goldfish..

I actually saw an emaciated yellow tang there.. He was wild caught, they said it wasn't their fault he wouldn't eat the goldfish pellets.. poor guy, I could see his ribs and backbone, which is something I haven't seen very often on a fish.

I tried explaining what they should try feeding him, and they said live is too much effort, and all fish food is the same, while giving me a look like I'm nuts.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I would not shop at a pet store that took care of the fish like that. Dont you have any animal welfare groups in your area to make a complaint with? If I lived by you me and my group would certainly draw attention to the abuse at that place. Neglect is also a form of abuse. A letter to the editor at your local newspaper sure wouldnt hurt either.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I would not shop at a pet store that took care of the fish like that. Dont you have any animal welfare groups in your area to make a complaint with? If I lived by you me and my group would certainly draw attention to the abuse at that place. Neglect is also a form of abuse. A letter to the editor at your local newspaper sure wouldnt hurt either.
I had to get crickets.. I rarely go in there, they sell puppies.

My local groups say they have better things to worry about than fish.. Because obviously, fish have no feelings(physical, and most certainly not mental), and are not animals.. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals... I tried with my other LPS, who also sells puppies, and takes horrible care of all of it's animals.. I know most people have no sympathy towards tarantulas, but they had one, a young female goliath birdeater, who had an open wound, in a tank with 2 dead mice she was supposed to eat, and had bugs eating on her wound.. I pointed this out to the employee, who said she wasn't putting her hand in there, but a worker who liked them would be in in 2 days. I told her I'd tak her out and clean it and she refused to let me.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Well baby girls' condition hasn't gotten any worse.. She seems to have a bit of trouble swimming, though. And being such a deep-bodied fish she may have problems..

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Finrot!
I noticed today that the ends of her fins are gone.. and appear to be crumbling away, now that I know what to treat, I think she has a better chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store