Saw my snails doing the dirty today!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
So im pretty excited for possible snail babies!! which gender is which (apple snails)? the one on the side/front of the other snail or the one just sitting there?
Also it really sucks that i don't know what type they are exactly, cuz i got them at my local rip-off-mart as just "golden snail" and "brown snail" (no thats seriously what the little name plate labels said), but i know that they are a type of apple because they have two sets of antennae and a breathing tube. If i got a picture up do you think anybody could identify them for me?
Thanks!

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
I'm sure there are several people who frequent this forum who could tell you what snails you have if you post pictures. If the pics are good enough, we can even tell you what sex they are.

Snails having sex doesn't always mean babies are on the way. The female can hold onto sperm for a very long time. They can also hold onto sperm from several different males so the babies you have may or may not be from the father you have. It is always cool to see them in the mood though. :D

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
:rofl: thanks jaylin lol
maybe if i light the candles and play some barry white? :D
Ill post a few pics in a sec for id :)

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
well my internet is pms-ing on me and being slow for whatever reason, so ill try and upload pics tomorrow

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They are most like pomacea bridgesii, sold as "mystery" snails. The male would be the one "mounting" or on top/side. Male snails do not disciminate when it comes to partners. They will mount other snails of the same gender, or varying species. If you have both genders, you could get clutches. Please make sure your waterline is dropped a few inches to give the female space to lay her clutches otherwise she will try and leave the tank to do so. Best of luck!

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Thanks! Ill make sure the water line is lowered just in case :)

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Ok im really excited!! so i separated the two snails that were constantly on top of the poor golden mystery girl (which was a golden mystery guy, and a brown striped mystery guy) last night because they were constantly on top of her 24/7 even while she was cruising the tank trying to eat etc. and this morning i woke up and saw a big snail clutch on the glass above the water line!!! im really excited! since ive never had an egg clutch before i don't know what an egg clutch is supposed to look like, so i posted a link to my pictures of it (photobucket doesn't work on my computer). Can anybody tell me if they look like they should, and if they're even fertile?
http://picasaweb.google.com/xcrimsonmoonx/FirstEggClutchGoldenMystery#5254858990750205746
once the link opens just click the right arrow for more. and sorry about the blurryness lol

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They look normal, its a nice big clutch. Its hard to tell if they are fertile right away. Usually after about 8 days it starts getting a moldy or blueish white appearance to the clutch, almost like little bubbles inside of it. Typically they hatch (in my tanks anyway) at 10-12 days, but up to 3 weeks is considered normal. Be prepared, you can get anywhere from 50-200 baby snails, i have had as many as 220. In order to ship them, you need permits issued from usda/aphis. You may want to ask your LFS before you decide to hatch it if they would beinterested in baby snails. Post up if you have any more questions and congratulations!

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
goodness, thats a ton
how do i go about getting a permit? does it cost me anything?
Great suggestion, ill check, selling/giving some to a lfs sounds a lot easier than getting permits lol
Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store