New 75g FOWLR! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Els9547

AC Members
Sep 4, 2008
We have a 75 gallon tank that we are looking to turn into a FOWLR. With it right now we have an air pump, heater, rena filstar canister filter and 2 aqua clear 110 multi stage filters. We are sort of SW newbies so I'm not really sure what else we would need??

Mainly converting because the kids reallyyyy want the Nemo theme tank; I know some of you may be strongly against that idea but if at all possible we would really like to be able to do that or something similar.

We also have heard many conflicting views about live rock. I have read some information saying that a good way to go is about 50-50 or 75-25 live rock/dead rock. Is that true? It certainly would be more cost efficient, but we are not sure if thats a good method.

Also, concerning the fish (I know we are a long way from that stage but I figured it's better to ask earlier) is it possible to have a tang in an aquarium that size? The yellow tang seems to be the favorite, so if that would not work does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, I am pretty sure that two tangs would not work together and I know that the tank is not big enough for them, so does anyone have any good suggestions for a substitute for the regal tang?

For our stock list we were hoping to do:
1 yellow tang (if size would allow)
1 royal gramma
2 clownfish
1 starfish
cleaner shrimp
1 similar to dory???

I know this may seem like a silly idea but the kids just love our FW tank and they have been talking about a nemo tank since the movie came out. I would really appreciate any ideas/suggestions/comments!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Yellow tang may be one of the few tangs that might have a chance in that size tank. I would not put a "Dori" (Hippo Tang, Regal, Blue Tang) in that size tank though. Dori's are notorious "Ich" magnets and get sick all the time. While people have had success with them in similar size tanks, it is not a fish I would recommend a new person trying. A lot of people mistake Purple Tangs for Dori's at the LFS I work at. While still not the most ideal size tank, I have seen it done many times, people having both a Yellow and Purple tang in a 75G. You may want to consider a Sailfin Tang or Convict Tang also, they are also ones that seem to do better than most in smaller aquariums, although that will take you away from the Nemo theme.

Everything else sounds doable with your setup for a Fish Only saltwater tank. With rock, ya, 50/50 is probably fine. Put the dead 50% down first as base rock and then add sand around it to make it stable. Do not put sand in the tank then rocks as this will cause a landslide in the tank down the road.

You will scrap the air pump, no need for that in saltwater, and pick up a couple powerheads like Koralias. I would go with 2 #3's for your tank.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store