Good Idea, Bad Idea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lucky

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
I discovered that one of my danios died late last night or early this morning, most likely due to age (they were/are all 2-3 years old, and have endured two bad cycles, the only out-of-place thing visible on the dead fish was snails and a hole they'd eaten in him, and the remaining fish are healthy/acting normal/normal appetite, no unusual water conditions, no changes in the tank for the past 1-2 months). The two remaining danios were also spawning like crazy this morning. So, I'm considering raising a couple of the resulting fry to replace the dead danio.

I have a 1.5 gallon tank that I am preparing for invertebrates. Would I be able to use this to raise 1-3 danio fry in for two months, until they are big enough to return to the 10 gallon (2 at most)? Or am I better off leaving the danios as a school of 2 and letting the fry get eaten?

I do not have a quarantine tank, so rather than buying another danio to flesh the school out and risk spreading disease, I'd like to try to raise a couple of fry I know come from a healthy tank - my own. Is it possible in the 1.5?

1.5 stats:
Empty, except for driftwood - I have baby java ferns I can add in.
Whisper filter (I forget the model, it's the 1-5 gallon), with seeded cartridge (it's been running in my 10 gal for about 3 months, plus I can move other things over from the 10 gal)

The 1.5 tank itself hasn't been put through the full cycle yet, since I'm still soaking the driftwood and changing the water regularly, but since I'm already doing daily (or every other day) water changes, and have the filter material and other tank 'gunk' readily available in bulk, I don't think a cycle will be a large issue.

So... Good idea, bad idea?

Last edited:

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
you can do it as i raised 15 platy fry in a 1.3 gallon to half an inch each before they had to move. id go for it. nice tank by the way

Lucky

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
Thanks for the replies!

" have you seen how tiny them babies can be? They are sooooooooooooooo small. "
Yeah, my danios have spawned before. I thought the fry were mosquito larvae, at first!

I got the 1.5 all set up (take a look - http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=2935)
The only problem is with the filter. It creates this m *** of bubbles on the surface of the water, and it overflows the tank and makes a mess. So I'm going to either have to figure out something with the water (we have VERY soft water and I think that's the problem), or get a new filter. I think I'm going to try buying a gallon of drinking water and see how that goes.

"you got small food for the frys like baby brine shrimp,Infusoria, bloodworm???"
I do have freezedried bloodworm that I can use, and if they won't take it, I'm sure I can get ahold of some brine shrimp pretty easily.

"you can do it as i raised 15 platy fry in a 1.3 gallon to half an inch each before they had to move. id go for it. nice tank by the way "

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store