Peas for snail?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
I dropped a half pea in the tank for my new snail. He was all over it! The pea landed with the shell up and the little guy worked and worked until he was able to get it turned over so he could get at the good stuff. Anyway, when I looked into the tank this AM I could see that he had eaten shell and all. Are peas good for snails? He seemed to like it. How about the shell?

Soupysteve

Apathetic Master
Aug 24, 2008
Ozarks - Springfield, Mo
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Stephen Hess
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy 7 Active
I can't imagine them being BAD for the snail; maybe work a couple into your aquarium's menu every now and then. I threw some in my tank after reading "skinned" peas were good to feed for constipation (no kidding). The skin is removed so the fish could get to the good stuff easier, I suppose. I'm sure all the fish in my tank appreciated the offering - everyone went nuts (even the reclusive rubber-nose).

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
my fish and snails and shrimp all enjoy peas

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
fish snails shrimp crays love them. i shell mine first. they do cantain fibre and are good for the bowels. i feed mine peas once a week. if you keep betta's its a must as they get constipated more.

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Snails will pretty much eat anything. I used to feed mine peas, french cut green beans (they love the low salt canned ones), zuccini, cucumber, broccoli, spinach ... just remember if it's hard, blanch it for a bit to soften it up and if it's not eaten pretty quickly take it out of the tank so it doesn't foul the water. And remember snails like meat too. You can't just feed them veggies.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
And remember snails like meat too. You can't just feed them veggies.
I discourage feeding meat to snails, as there is some anecdotal evidence that feeding meat to young snails can encourage snail-on-snail aggression in adults. Especially in the plant-eating species.
The exception to this is when meat is added to snail cookies or gel food, anything that will be put into a blender or food processor.

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Chicago - Windy City, USA
My mystery snail wont touch zuchinni or spinich, but he loves brocolli and carrots. Carrots are his favorite. He was so, so with peas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store