two sick goldfish==going down fast

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gemlady7788

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Brought in an algea eater and he dies 4 days later. Now both of my goldfish are getting sic. Overnight I awoke to the tails and fins looking like they have been shredded amd colored veining with strange looking bumps on them. They were fine last night. What could have been brought into the tank to take them out so fast. They are spending alot of time at the top of the tank near the air stonesThe detereiation is fastly getting worse, .The water paramaters are spot on. Any help would be appreciated.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
What size tank are they in, what exactly are your water parameter numbers, and what is the temp of the tank. Are there any other fish with them?

Mr. U

Can I have a cookie...pweeeze?
Oct 18, 2006
California Central Coast
Hi Gemlady,
Sorry, but what exactly are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? what kind of filtration do you have?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
What EXACTLY are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?? I think that is what everyone has been asking - not "they are fine" or "they are spot on" but actual NUMBERS. And also the type of test kit you are using. How long was the body of the dead algae eater in the tank before you noticed and removed it? It kind of sounds like ammonia poisoning...

gemlady7788

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
ammonia is o, ph is 7, nitrate is o and nitrate is betweeb 5 and 10 which was o last night--from this am now the tank is getting foggy and the fins and tail are worse--the large goldfish has almost one inch in loss did 50% water chabg yersterday afternoon

Mr. U

Can I have a cookie...pweeeze?
Oct 18, 2006
California Central Coast
Hi Gemlady...thanks for the additional info. Can you please restate the nitrate and nitrite counts (you said both were "nitrate"). Is this tank a new setup? Have you performed a gravel vac? Are there any decorations in the tank that can catch/hide waste/excess food? A cloudy tank can be caused by a bacteria bloom. What kind of filtration do you have on the tank? When was the last time you swished the filtration media? How old is the test kit? Water changes are a good start for now.

gemlady7788

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Sorry--nitrite is 0 and nitrate is about a 7. Cleaned tank fri--even removed plants and ran them thru the dishwater do to major algea. Worked well. Set up tank first of the year. Test kit about 5 months old--master kit. Have a 55 gal filter and a 30 gal fliter. What do you mean by swishing? Just did a small water change tonight.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Gemlady,

First thing do an 80% water change now. The cleaner the water in the tank is the better for the fish.

What you have sounds like a pretty severe bacterial finrot to me. You will need to go and buy some antibiotics for your fish. Maracyn II will work well and you can easily pick it up at your local store. However just about any gram negative effective antibiotic will work. When treating them they will need an airstone as the oxygen content of the water will drop. If you treat them fast and follow the directions exactly you may be able to save your fish.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/fins.html

In the future this is why a quarentine tank is highly recommended when adding in new fish. A rubbermaid container or a clean bucket (never had chemicals in it) will work just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store