Treatment of Fish with Methylene - Problem Shrimps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carlyleigh

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
I have what looks like some sort of Protozoan Parasite on my little Ram, (been on my hols just came back and he has some little bugs sticking onto his face).

Did immediate water change popped in some salt but think I need to treat with some Methylene but I have a huge Vampire Shrimp housed in there...

Will this be a problem I think Yes but unsure...

Any Idea's..... I can't re-home my shrimp anywhere else right now as my Crays would eat him....

Any advice would be appreciated...

Commodore 64

AC Members
Feb 26, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I've treated my tanks with methylene blue. Snails, shrimp (even tiny juvies) were fine.

The jey is to keep the dosage no greater than 0.05ppm. Yes, you will have to calculate it.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I wouldn't risk using that medication in a tank with a vampire shrimp. What concentration of salt are you using? I would be tempted to continue with teh salt treatment to see if it helps before trying more medication. I would also do frequent water changes with deep gravel vacs and wipe down the inside of the glass to help remove any parasites that could be being harbored there. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more advice. Any chance of a picture of the effected fish so we can help to figure out what type of parasite it is and a better treatment plan for you?

carlyleigh

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
Pics

Here are 2 pics hard to see but I think you get the picture.... Dont wanna hurt my Vampire he is so big and fab lookin....

I think the salt is making them drop out but leaving little holes....

IMG_6318.jpg IMG_6330.jpg

carlyleigh

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
More Pics Clearer Sort of ....

Here are two more closer up pics..... Anyone got any idea's

IMG_6345.jpg IMG_6347.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store