white fuzz on tail fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello,

Last night my fantail died of fin congestion and fin rot. I moved my red cap oranda a few days ago to a new tank. Treating for the fin congestion. That seems to be getting better. But, now he/she has white fuzz stuff on the edges of the tail fin. Is this fin rot or a secondary fungal infection?

If fungus, what is the best treatment now? The tank is my hospital tank, no plants, etc.

Thanks.:help:

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
It can be a pH issues or even a fungal or bacterial infection. In order to be sure we will need to see pictures and have the water parameters.

For bacterial very clean water and maybe of dose of antibiotic can stop it.

For fungal very clean water and a much stonger antifungal medication will have to be used.

For pH induced water changes can help alleviate it.

However we cannot recommend precisely what to use without a good picture and more information.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
My fish looks a lot better today. The ph balance is perfect. I had been treating with tetracycline because he had red streaks and blotches. Today he is nice and white again. Last night and again this morning I added aquarium salt. The white fuzz seems to diminishing too. The water is very clean. I have a bio wheel filter running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store