We have unplanned baby ghost shrimp, advise needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA
Hi everyone, we got two ghost shrimp last week and at home noticed that one of them was carrying babies. Yesterday I noticed that gourami is trying to nibble on baby shrimp that was almost falling off. I moved mommy to a separate 2.5 gal perfecto glass tank with bare bottom. This morning we have babies! I already put big shrimp back in community tank, babies (4-5) are swimming, I only have driftwood, java moss and some floating bacopa. Is there any chance they survive and what do I feed them?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
they eat whatever they can pick up.. a glass bottom tank is probably not a good idea.
I would try to get some of the substrate and decorations from the established tank into the baby's room.
the should be able to find some food in there. Also if you have an established sponge filter, that would be an excellent idea.

I feed my shrimp algae wafers ,and shrimp pellets..

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
you feed them the same as you do the adults, just be very careful to not overfeed. If you have any plants you can move over, they will graze on the biofilm found on them as well.

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA
Thanks guys, you are awesome:) This forum is great for a newbie like me.
I added some gravel and plants from my established tank. Do I need to add salt and what about filtration. I have red sea nano deco filter, that I bought for this tank, it is still new in a box though. I know, sponge filter is the best but I do not have it.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
If you cant get a sponge filter, cut a piece of "cut to fit" filter media and cover the intake on that filter so it wont inhale the baby shrimp... it will eventually provide more room for them to graze..

you could also cut an X through a block of filter foam and slip it over the filter's intake..

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
nylons over the intake work as well and are probably more readily available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store