What kind of anemone is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I picked this up today for $10 and really don't know what it is. I need to figure out what it's lighting and circulation needs are. I'm thinking some sort of carpet anemone.

I also have no idea if this is supposed to look like this or if it is healthy.
It seems to be OK from what I can tell, and am keeping lighting low at first, then will introduce the t5 a little at a time at noonish, and work to more.

Any suggestions?

DSC03959.JPG

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
When I worked at a lfs, we got them in under the common name Flower Anenome. Search under that common name and see if it can give you some more info, it looks a little bleached to me, but hopefully with proper care will make a full recovery!

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
i agree looks bleached, hope it recovers let us know!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
What does it need to get unbleached? Are these things just picky eaters? I s it because of light?

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Another pic:

How long will it take to look healthy (unbleached) again under good conditions?

DSC03984.JPG

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
if you can provide good lighting, water conditions and feed well it will have a good chance.
make sure you power heads have covers on and the less stress the better.
now someone told me if your anemone keeps moving around tank its a sign that its stressed??
bleached means the anemone has expelled its algae?? hence the white colour.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Hi marinemad, the thing doesn't move around but does change shape alot. It doesn't seem to like the skimmer, but doesn't move away. When I kick on the t-5's it curls up, so I only leave them on a little then change back to the 18 watt marine glo.

As far as eating, it must be getting stuff from the water column, it would not take a piece of cooked shrimp or even mysid (frozen), will try some other stuff. I put zoo plex in and shut down the skimmer and it seems to go after that. I tried cyclopeze and it did not seem to take to that either.

So how long before it gets it's green back? Or could it turn a different color? Do I have to supplement it if it is gone?

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
as far as i know and i aint expert you just got to wait!
i bought a bleached anemone that was huge! it lived for 2 weeks but was too far gone! fingers crossed yours not that far gone! i would say again to make sure you got gaurds on your power heads and offer some food every 3 days or so but dont force it! try to keep near perfect water conditions.
if it wants to hide build a cave out of the rocks to give him a sheltered area where you can see it at all times.
has he done a poo ? lol

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
It is known as a Flower Anemone. Seen many of them, most of the time they are considered a pest and I have helped many local reefers extracate them from their tanks. I think they actually look kind of cool, but I guess not cool enough for most people to want to keep with the risk of them moving/stinging/killing much more valuable corals within the tank.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
as far as i know and i aint expert you just got to wait!
i bought a bleached anemone that was huge! it lived for 2 weeks but was too far gone! fingers crossed yours not that far gone! i would say again to make sure you got gaurds on your power heads and offer some food every 3 days or so but dont force it! try to keep near perfect water conditions.
if it wants to hide build a cave out of the rocks to give him a sheltered area where you can see it at all times.
has he done a poo ? lol
I wonder what color it will be? I have a korallia 2 and had my first condy got sucked into it. This guy is planted and seems to be staying. So I hope not to have a repeat.

I don't think it has poo'd but hey I don't even know where to look for that :huh::naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store