stem plants for low light (2.1 wpg) with no CO2 & only dosing Flourish Complete

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
anyone have a good stem plant or something that I can fix into my substrate for a low light setup in a 55 gallon tank?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Rotala (indica?) grows pretty well for me at that level. Ambulia sessifolia, ludwegia (repens?) & bacopa not too happy.

edit: petluvr, how long have you had it? mine looked great for 8 months then gradual decline, alive but not fab :(

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
Question, if I am in medium light............I have a DIY light setup with 3 40 Watt T12's in the fixture. I can pull one out if that would be better for my low light plants....should I do that?

I am getting an automatic pressurized CO2 system around Xmas along with some flourite and ferts to go pro but in the meantime should I reduce my wattage for the health of my plants?

Or does my 2.1 wpg give me more options along with running a low light setup without CO2 and ferts?

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Must understand this that low light plants can grow and will grow better at higher conditions. So what you can do is try out them plants with your light, keep the light on around 10hrs a day, see how it goes with algae. If you see algae (like bba) then decrease the photoperiod to 8hrs a day.

Another thing you can do is get Flourish Excel, so for the next few months you can dose that on your tank as a "substitute" for co2 gas. (but still works best if used together)

Pressurized setup will definitely be great!

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
If you dose Excel do you have to go to ferts (micros/macros) as well?

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
If you dose Excel do you have to go to ferts (micros/macros) as well?
Yes, From what I have read plants need to also, just like fish.
N-P-K is a good start and make sure you dose on a recommended schedule for your size tank or you could have some bad algae problem.

I got the full line of Seachem.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
For a 55gal I would suggest going with Dry ferts, alot cheaper in the long run over a liquid line.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store