Where Have These Snails Come From??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

repsolblade

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Wales
www.xsky.co.uk
Hi guys, since I last posted I have cycled my tank and added 2 Dwarf Blue Goruami's, and they are doing fine, everything seems to be great and very pleased with results so far.
Apart from 1 thing...Snails, where the bloody hell have they come from? :)
I really dont know, but I have a few plants some larva rock and decorative rock, also some black sand, all bought from LFS, rock and dec Rock bought dry, Plants were in own tank, and sand vac sealed packs, I don't understand where these guys came from, and there are at least 10 that I have seen so far! Ranging from Very Tiny to 1/2 a cm in length! what do I do with them and what to expect If I do nothing?
I have an idea of what other fish I'd like to add to the tank, but as yet I'd just like the Goruami's to settle and be happy, but If i were to add more, are any likely to eat snails to keep there numbers down, Quite like them in there but worried they get too Many babies goin on!
Any ideas and help very much welcome ;)

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
I didn't see this in your post but if your tank is big enough, get a loach, they eat snails and love them! They'll have your tank clean in no time!

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
I didn't see this in your post but if your tank is big enough, get a loach, they eat snails and love them! They'll have your tank clean in no time!
A loach? You mean a half dozen loaches, right? (loaches need to be kept in groups)

I don't recommend getting loaches to control snail problems... I do however recommend getting loaches because they're just plain awesome. :cool:

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
Agreed, I have them because I love them, their personalities and everything else, but they are fabulous for snail control.

A loach? You mean a half dozen loaches, right? (loaches need to be kept in groups)

I don't recommend getting loaches to control snail problems... I do however recommend getting loaches because they're just plain awesome. :cool:

toodleypops

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
puffers also love snails!!! i think they have more personality than loaches but thats me...
yeah pest snails can come from just aboot anything (mainly plants) abd asexually reproduce so your best bet now is to go on a SNAIL VENDETTA and the power of your magic thumb or pointer finger whichever you druther... (aka make them meet mr. squisher!!!)

msquared

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
St. Charles, Missouri
Just so you don't feel alone, I got one small piece of java moss to add onto my driftwood and that was the beginning of my own snail infestation. Mine are also teeny, so they sound like the same kind you have. I haven't done anything about them because I have other issues to deal with now. But they don't seem to be hurting anything.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
You already have gouramis...but bettas eat the small snails like mad, they flip em over and eat the inside, leaving an empty shell. Puffers are brackish and NOT reconmmended as they are aggresive, but loaches might work, depending on the size of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store