Anybody have tiger barbs with Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lawdawg18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2003
Jackson, Ms
Visit site
I had a school of 7 tiger barbs in a 29 gal, but after purchasing a Fig 8 puffer who turned out to not be the community fish I was told he was. I had to move the tigers out. So I purchased a new 55 gal. and moved the tigers away from the puffer. I've heard if you have enough tiger barbs they dont bother other fish. I'd like to add a couple of angel fish to the 55. Would lots of plants and decor help matters any?

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
When I had put some tiger barbs in with my angels, I had to move them out pretty son after (which wernt easy...). It was for two reasons really - firsty, they did go for the fins - but secondly they are also very active, and I didnt want them stressing my angels too much. I dont think they make a great mix really.

Hope it helps,
Thom.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I don't know how well angels go with anything because I have never kept them before. However I do know that with a nice sized tank like a 55 gallon, you have a ton of options. I'm sure those tiger barbs already look pretty good in there.

If you wanted you could add some more barbs of a different type and keep the tank a fast moving community. It would really depend on how aggressive your tigers are but you could probably get some gouramies. I think a red tailed black shark would look really good too. Get some cover and places to hide if you choose either of these two though.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I agree with everyone else. If you watched them closely and saw that they weren't nipping at the Angel fins (which might be next to a miracle), surely they'd stress them out with their quickness. Angels are too mellow a fish to have little whippers around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store