Massive deaths in shrimp tank help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cassiejx8

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
NJ
In the last 12 hours I have had 30+ deaths in my 20g cherry shrimp tank. I recently did a water change (yesterday) and just hatched out a clutch of mystery snails and they are all ok, which leads me to believe that it is not the water. I also just added liquid calcium in the tank of the first time but dont think thats the cause. What could be killing all my shrimp?!

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
What are the water params? And did you make sure to treat the water first? Plus i may be wrong but i believe that shrimp are much more sensitive to the water than snails

cassiejx8

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
NJ
I am not sure of the exact water param. because I recently ran out of the testing strips, but I going to get more when my parents get home. This tank has been established for a few months now and I have never had any problems like this before.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
How did you add the liquid calcium? Is this something that you have added before?
Are there any symptoms before the shrimp die? What is the exact stocking and your maintenance routine and feeding regime please.

cassiejx8

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
NJ
I add a few drops with an eyedropper. That was the second ot thrid time I added the calcium. I have maybe 100-150 shrimp in a 20g long. I clean the tank water every Sunday at least. I gravel vac 2-3 times a week. I didnt notice sympotums but I was in school when most of them died.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
be cautious when adding calcium that its diluted and added to the tank so as to not land on any critters. I don't know that this is causing your problem, but it could be part of it. you said you had snails, how many are in there?

cassiejx8

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
NJ
I have 6 adults and I just hatch out a clutch with about 50 babies and they are all fine. Could the calcium be the problem. I was told that the calcium wouldnt hurt the shrimp at all.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
The calcium won't hurt the shrimp unless it came in direct undiluted contact with them. I dose liquid calcium infrequently in a tank wiht hundreds of cherry reds, they do fine. Getting a test kit will really help with the speculation here. I would get the API freshwater master kit as it has ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite as well as pH tests. Its alot cheaper in the long run then strips as well as more reliable. In the mean time, another water change will not hurt and may help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store