help with refugium plumbing?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

proffer

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2003
missouri
Visit site
I would like to set up a refugium next to my 55 gal. I would have to set up a 10 gal. beside it, but the plumbing is what i dont understand. I live on a fixed income and need something simple.(also so I can understand it, o.k., I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff.) but anyway, my 10 gal. sits lower than the 55. can someone help me in a way even I could understand (and afford).

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The easiest way to plumb a fuge is to have it above the tank. Pump water into the fuge, and have it flow out via a siphon or overflow (like drilling a hole and putting a bulkhead fitting in place). That way, the plankton and pods can leave the fuge without being chewed up by the pump.

If it has to be below the tank, then you have to have some sort of overflow from the tank, either drilled in the tank or via a siphon (CPR makes one), to get the water to the fuge. Then pump it back to the tank. You have to be careful with the level of the overflow, because a pump failure will cause the fuge to fill up until the water stops leaving the main tank. Could mean a lot of water on the floor.

widdledink

Graphic Design sluth
Sep 23, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
Couldn't you just run the fuge in line with your sump? My thought on building my fuge is this...use my current OFB that I have for my sump use the run-off from my Skimmer and dump it into the fuge then relocate the pump that I have in my sump for return and put it into the fuge for the return into my main tank.

So the water flow would be as follows...

Main Tank-->OFB--->Wet/Dry Sump--->Skimmer--->Fuge--->Main Tank

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I just like having the water flow passively from the fuge. I care less that stuff gets to the fuge intact, but I would like baby snails, worms and pods to be able to get out without being pureed by the pump. If the major goal is to have a DSB and macroalgae to reduce NO3, then that's less of an issue. If you are lucky enough to have a dead cat, there are lots of ways to skin it.

skooby

Reef Watcher
Nov 3, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
I too am a moron and have allways wanted to have a fuge. Tell me if this is right. The overflow would just be a hole high on the main tank, and when the water gets up that high it will just flow into the fuge right? Know if that is right how I understand it what pump pumps it back up and do I need another hole in the tank up high for the water to get back into the main tank? Will it be for nothing if it is below because everything would go through the pump and get chopped?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Will it be for nothing if it is below because everything would go through the pump and get chopped?
No, you would still get the NO3 export from growing macroalgae, plus pH stability if it's on a reverse light cycle, but the plankton coming out would be a bit pureed.

Could you rephrase the first part?

skooby

Reef Watcher
Nov 3, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
I know there is plumbing from the main tank a hole on side of main tank and a pipe from that hole down to fuge right? This plumbing is placed high on main tank so that when it gets so high it flows over into pipe and down to fuge right? Then it is pumped back up with a pump, right? What do I put in fuge to start , and you said reverse lighting. Can I use cheap lighting for fuge? I hope I dont sound stupid, but I think I am getting it.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Yep, drill the overflow high on the main tank, and then pump back from the fuge.
In my refugium, I have a deep sand bed, a pile of chaetomorpha macroalgae, with pieces of a few other species. The lighting over my little 2.5 gallon fuge is a 13W PC. For a 10, you can probably get by with less, but I'd put a 36W PC DIY fixture over it. I time the lights so they come on an hour before lights out, and they go off an hour after light on.
I have added detritivores over time, including amphipods, terebellid worms, strombus maculatus snails, bristleworms, all of which are reproducing like mad, plus a few ceriths and other assorted critters. Inland Aquatics and IPSF both have nice detritivore kits.

skooby

Reef Watcher
Nov 3, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
Ok COOL. I really appreciate your help. My husband asked what tool do we use to drill tank, and do we use aquarium sealant to seal it? Also will the glass fall into the tank when we cut the hole?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I haven't drilled glass before, but I understand you will want to use a hole saw with a diamond cutting surface. I also understand there's a good chance of total loss when drilling a glass tank. You might post in the DIY section, either FW or SW, and maybe someone can give more useful suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store