Sick Baby Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Hello everyone,

My brother and I recently bought 3 angels about a quarter in size to add with our other angel, little bigger than silver dollar size. One we bought about a week before the other two. The one we got first is perfectly fine and dandy. The two we bought saturday are not so lucky. They hang out at the top, breathing harder than normal and they have these little white spots that look too small to be ick, and not as consistant and in as great a number as velvet. They also had finrot at one point, but that has seemed to gone away. Nothing in the tank picks on them, and the water is in good condition (ammonia and nitrite are 0). I put some Furan-2 in the tank last night (two tablets, it was all I had), and shut off the filter overnight. It didn't do a whole lot, but I turned the filter on again and did a 1/4 water change.
They are in a 75gal planted and the temp stays, usually between 78-80F. They still are eating, and come forward and beg when I tap the glass, but their behavior and appearance other than that is making me worried. If you have any suggestions on what to do, please let me know. The only thing I really can't do is quarintine them, and I have no money to by meds, all I have is quick cure at the moment.

They also were the healthiest acting and looking angels at the LFS.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Ick looks like someone salted the fish so the spots are very small. The fish are at the top indicates that the dissolved O2 is low.
For the ick, add salt at about 1 tbsp. per 10 gallons and raise the temp gradually to 84 or 86. Do this for 28 days at least since this is the life cycle of the ick parasite. Just remember to add more salt with a water change but not to the topping off water since salt will not evaporate.
Raising the temp will lower the O2 even more so you will need to add an air stone or increase surface agitation, personally I would do both.
You can add melafix along with the salt to help the fins that were damaged by the fin rot in healing.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Well, I think they are both going to pull through with the use of little medication. It was fungus after all, so I dabbed a very diluted solution of betadine on the little buys, one responded well and the other one came down with finrot again. Good news is, the finrot has stopped short on the little guy and he's behaving very well even though he's missing most his finnage (thank god it didn't get to the body though).

Thanks for your help Deb :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store