What kind of algae/what kind of fix?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Well, I have a moderately planted 45 gallon tank (inhabitants are in my tank setup) w/ 64 watts - 6500K bulbs over it. (I was told this is approx 1.4 wpg) I do not inject CO2 and have not been adding ferts.

I have a beautiful emerald green, (short, but flows in the current), algae growing on some of my plants as well as the glass and filter outputs. I have tried to identify the type of algae and I cannot pin point it. I have a baby BN plec, a small red lizard whiptail catfish as well as a couple of ramshorns in the tank. I scrub it off during my water changes and it immediately grows back. What am I doing wrong / what can I do to get rid of it? My critters won't touch it! :help:

Last edited:

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
you need to get an algae eater without a sucker mouth - thats why your algae eaters aren't eating it.

try getting a siamese algae eater. they have a mouth that 'nibbles' and they will make quick work of your wispy algae.

one thing that you can try is add some fertilizer - just a little.

it will help your plants to grow faster and out compete the algae.

right now the algae is out competing the plants. and winning the battle.

post some pics of your tank if you can.

that will help too.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Probably the same exact thing I have, fields of staghorn algae. If they look like little trees (solid beginning point, then branching off to other 'stems') then thats what it is. I'm trying out different things with my tank to see what works best.

Increasing water changes did nothing for me, about to try the fert idea, then if that doesn't work, then off to try some DIY co2

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Well, thanks for the advice. (it does not look like staghorn at all.)
Now, to find true SAE's! I have API leaf zone on hand - I will add a 1/2 dose w/ my next water change this weekend and see if that helps too. Forgot to mention earlier that my lights are on for 9 hours a day...........

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I have been able to determine that it is green beard algae. I had assumed that with my low light set up I would be ok. Do I need to start a fert regimen? I am not interested in DIY or other types of co2, so I would like to avoid it if at all possible.

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
yes. you probably don't need to do c02 right away, but you need fertz to help your plants to grow faster and healthier.

right now your lighting is helping the algae along a lot more than your plants.

giving the plants some fertz will give them the boost they need to catch up and begin to out compete the beard algae.

but don't go crazy - a little bit of fertz. goes a long way.

Last edited:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Any suggestions on what types of ferts to use?
Before I upgraded my lighting, my plants deteriorated badly, so now it is in the beginning stages and a little barren; so your reasoning makes sense. I will try to get a decent pic of the tank tonite for a better idea of how "planted" it really is at this point......

Thanks for your help! :)

spunjin

Manzanita Supplier
Aug 7, 2008
Ridgecrest, CA
seanrubino.com
Real Name
Sean Rubino
Camera Used
iPhone X
I would go with Flourish Excel since you are not using CO2. That will supplement the carbon for the plants, but from what I understand it will melt vals and possibly crypts? I have crypts in mine and I have no problem with Excel. In the long run you may also want to get a few more Flourish fert. products (depending on your plant stock). Good luck.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I would go with Flourish Excel since you are not using CO2. That will supplement the carbon for the plants, but from what I understand it will melt vals and possibly crypts? I have crypts in mine and I have no problem with Excel. In the long run you may also want to get a few more Flourish fert. products (depending on your plant stock). Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I do not have crypts or vals so no worries there. Just Java fern, anubias, water sprite, giant hygro and red rotala.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store