Mystery molly babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
So far my molly has had 3 sets of babies. Only one from the first batch survived, then dad went to work again before he died, and she had the second batch. Now mysteriously, there is a third batch?

The dad of the babies is dead because of a bacterial infection, and he died about a week before the 2nd batch was born. The first baby she had is in the tank with her, but I don't think he's reached sexual maturity yet :/ how long does that take? Times the baby by about 10 and you'll get the mothers full body size. The only other fish that's able to breed with the molly is a guppy, and I heard its really hard to get the two species to breed?

So, do you think I have a case of incest, or out of species breeding?

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
Mollies can store sperm for over six months. Also young male livebearers are able to impregnate almost as soon as the gonopodium developes.

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
Mollies once they have the sperm in them, can hold it for months and have multiple batches from a single mating... I've heard 6 months.. not sure if that is right or not...

It takes them at least 6 months to get big enough to mate, more like a year to full growth.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Yup, pretty much any livebearer can do that. Guppies do, I know. Not sure about platys and such.

I sold my male molly at least a month ago, and I've had 3 batches of babies since then from my 4 females. I'm sure I'll be dealing with them for at least a few more births...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store