Poor Mystery Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snakes

Fish Addict
Mar 3, 2008
www.rieda.za.org
Hello There

I Bought 2 Mystery Snails from the LFS and I would like to know

1. what should they be fed other than scraps

2. The LFS Dont care about them as I can see there shells look so like its erosion as I have really taken note when i bought them but I can assure u they look like that the first time

I have 1 Mollie,2 Serpae Tetras,3 Platties,2 Cory's in the tank as well

I am pretty sure I can take better care of them provided I give them what they need

I heard about Calcium so Please explain and bear in mind of the above fishes I have in there.

I have Normal White Gravel Substrate and a box filter

The Tank is 10G and Temperature in the range of 24deg celcius
Foods Given is (very small pellets or granules) and tablet for cory's
Flakes are also given if pellets are not fed

The Snails Still Seem Active as they are always moving about on the glass etc

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
1. what should they be fed other than scraps Calcium rich veggies are great. Things like spinach, greens, green beans, zucchini, etc work well. I blanch the firm veggies first then sink them in the tanka nd leave overnight. There is also a sticky at the top of the invert section with a bunch of recipes for food and a link with calcium concentrations of veggies.

2. The LFS Dont care about them as I can see there shells look so like its erosion as I have really taken note when i bought them but I can assure u they look like that the first time
[/Q

Sounds to me like your tank is a bit overstocked, please monitor your water parameters closely as it will be easy for the parameters to get wacky (ammonia spikes and high nitrates). Best of luck!

Snakes

Fish Addict
Mar 3, 2008
www.rieda.za.org
The Fish in the tank are quite small fish but I am doing my regular maintenance
they say that crush egg shells also help with calcium

is this a myth and if not what type egg shells

Snakes

Fish Addict
Mar 3, 2008
www.rieda.za.org

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yes, i blanch the veggies, not boil them for long as they break down faster if too soft. You want them to be edible but not mushy.

Snakes

Fish Addict
Mar 3, 2008
www.rieda.za.org
Cool Cool
I will Give them some calcium veggies so that they can get better

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
it won't reverse any erosion they have, but help them to have healthy new growth. In order to prevent further erosion, you need to make sure your water has appropriate hardness. What is your tank pH? Try and keep it well above 7 if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store