dandelion leaves for snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Is there any reason not to feed snails dandelion leaves? They're considered a primary staple for aquatic turtles because of their calcium content (much higher than spinach and lettuce if I recall correctly), so it seems to me that they would be good for snails as well. I don't think I've seen anyone mention them on here though.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
A subject I know about - greens! I used to own a couple of Guinea pigs and I do know that dandelion greens have double the calcium of spinach. The only thing I would be concerned about is where you would get the dandelion greens. Obviously those purchased in the produce store would be safe, but I would stay away from greens gathered outside where they might have been subjected to insect sprays.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, thanks. The one's I collect for my turtle are a pretty good distance from any yard that's been sprayed with pesticides, fertilizers, or anything else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store