Which is better as a first cephalopoda an octopus or cuttlefish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
I was just given a used 20 gallon cuttlefish tank and want to put either an octopus or a cuttlefish in it. I have been in the hobby for a year and work at an lfs where i have cared for both these animals before. any input on which is better? thank you

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I have kept many Octopus but never a Cuttlefish so the info on them is all secondhand. Octopus are generally easy to keep as far as care goes, the difficult part is keeping them in the tank. They are also a short lived animal, about 2 years is average and a female will die as soon as she lays eggs. Cuttlefish, from my research, are more difficult to keep due to being prone to panic and running into the glass. Here is a site with alot on Ceph info:http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/
For any Cephalopod water quality must be excellent so make sure to have a stabil tank to begin with. Good luck!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Cuttlefish need at least a 300gal tank as they need the swimming space.

personally I think they're better off in the wild.

I also wouldn't put an octopus in that size tank either.

Here's a link to Marine-geeks' thread about "Fluffy" her octopus which might help:) Fluffy was well known on AC:)

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
i said 300g in chat!

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
at the lfs i work at they kept two tiny cuttles in the tank i am going to be using they lived for a long time. It never appeared that they were crammed do even the tiny ones like this need a 300 gallon?

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
on tonmo. com people have posted a 29 gallon is ok for a Sepia bandensis cuttlefish. Would a 20 gallon work for just one Sepia bandensis?

corinna

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
rome,italy
hi Cam. I kept a n octopus for 7 months.He/she is now on loan to Sealife at Gardaland aquarium. Nobody told me they were difficult to keep,so I put him in a spare 30 gal tank with some live clams(vongole) and built him a hidey hole and he was fime, healthy, curious all the time I had him. After time he would take food from my hand;usually a piece of feshly-caught fish or a mussel.When I got him he was around an inch across, after 7 months he must have been 7 inches.Massively rewarding animal to care for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store