Mogurnda Mogurnda ... cloudy eye?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SamHam

AC Members
My very greedy and friendly Mogurnda was not as quick at taking his evening meal this evening as usual, like he cant see the food ?? I took a close look at his eyes and they seem translucent...... he still has an appetite and otherwise seems fine.

Water tests... PH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrate were taken immediately and all fine. Weekly water change and filter clean carried out yesterday.

Could it be cloudy eye?

I don't want to take any chances, and medication i am trying to avoid as my tank is home to a very healthy BGK. I took a look around and i found something called Melafix.... if treatment was necessary would this have a potential affect on my BGK would it be best to Quarantine ? This always worries me and may stress the Mogurnda out further.

Any help ? Thanks

SamHam

AC Members
I do a water change and wash the filter sponge and media in the discarded tank water tank water. i Have two filters and clean simultaneously so only cleaned out the one yesterday. i also prime the filter using tank water. Do you think this could be an imbalance? The only thing i could think of was i found some fury prawns in BGK cave which he greedily took and never ate i syphoned them out but was surprised to find old food there! Could this cause bacteria in the tank ? or would it take more than that ?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
hmm.. if your ammonia was 0, then that's not the cause. if the prawns caused any sort of ammonia, it could be a contributing factor.

SamHam

AC Members
Yeah thats very true, if it is a bacterial infection then i must have neglected or done something wrong to the tank in some way? and does this mean the whole tank needs to be treated? I need to monitor him but what symptoms should i look for next? Whats the best method of action to take now? Take my BGK out and treat the tank? Take Mogurnda out and treat him separately? Or just water change again and monitor him? what a worry... Its like having childen... ha ha no sleep for me tonight !!

SamHam

AC Members
All worries over!!!! I went to my local fish store and mentioned the eye and was told thats common they get that sheen over their eye, was shown some similar but younger ones in a tank and they look the same??? That has stopped me worrying but i am very curious as to why that happens? I mean i'm sure its not normal and i am sure there is a way to prevent it from happening? Could it be due to breeding? genetics? etc...

Any Ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store