Tons of Eheim Classic Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Hi, I just got one setup and I have alot of questions

1. When i do water changes or canister filter cleaning, what should I turn off first? the power or the valves?

2. How often do i clean the filter?

3. How can i make the filter even better and closer to that crystal clear water? It came with all the media, I was thinking maybe a micron filter pads might help?

I forgot like the other 10 questions but here is the main one.

4. How should the intakes and outtakes be placed? It is a 55 gallon tank, I currently have the intake on the back left hand corner with the output on the right side's back glass horizontally. I tried to put the output on the right hand glass horizontally but the hose was not long enough.

The problem with this set up is that even though the spraybar is aimed at the front glass, the filter is so strong that the water circulates to the bottom of my tank and creating a huge ditch in my sand, you can see the eggcrate.

I was planning to place the output right beside the intake with the spraybar facing the right side.

One more question, does it matter if I have sand in the eggcrate with the limestone on top of it? Does it form anaerobic pockets?

thanks

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
For some reason, I cannot edit my post, but when can i remove the existing HOB filter? How long will it take for the bacteria to establish a colony in the new filter?

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
I don't own a 2217 but I do own a 2026 and an ecco 2236, I also know people with the 2217 so I know a good amount of info on them.

1. Turn the input off first then the output then power.

2. You can do a backflush at the 3 month interval meaning you take the canister to a sink/tub, turn the input disconnect upside down, open the top so the motor is off and pour tank water in at the top, Replace floss,done.
This flushes all the debris stuck at the bottom out.
In another three or so months take all the media out and rinse in tank water, replace floss.
Generally you should clean the classics every 3-6 months.

3. Try some seachem purigen it's fantastic!

4. You can cut the spraybar to fit your tank so it sprays side to side.
I know what you mean about the back to front flow being very strong.

Not sure about the last question but if you have mts snails don't worry, they love to sift through the sand thus keeping the substrate free of bad pockets...

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
For some reason, I cannot edit my post, but when can i remove the existing HOB filter? How long will it take for the bacteria to establish a colony in the new filter?
Run the hob for a good 2-3 weeks to be safe.

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Thanks mott, I truly appreciate the answers!

BTW I might try some purigen, but I thought it acted the same way as carbon, removing toxins and other chemicals, I didn't know it helped water purification. But i guess It makes sense, PURIgen. lol

Krytan - It might be wise to do so because I plan on keeping African cichlids, but I hate the noise the HOB makes when the water splashes, I rather have a more quiet living too.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Thanks mott, I truly appreciate the answers!

BTW I might try some purigen, but I thought it acted the same way as carbon, removing toxins and other chemicals, I didn't know it helped water purification. But i guess It makes sense, PURIgen. lol

No problem I love filter questions:)

Yes It does act like carbon so it wont help if you have particulates but when I use it my tank sparkles... Let the filter do it's job for a while. The fine pad should clear it up soon.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
From :http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...roper-cleaning-eheim-canister.html#post144227

Call this the First Half Maintenance.( 3 months from Initial start-up)

1. Unplug the filter and shut off all of the valves.
2. Now, disconnect the valves and take the filter to the kitchen.
3. Grab a bucket and set it in the sink. Place the filter on the counter so that the lower valve-stem hangs over the bucket at the edge of the sink.
4. Turn the lower valve stem counter-clockwise and point it down into the bucket.
5. Open both valves and empty the filter’s water into the bucket.
6. Now, close the bottom valve. Then, undo the clips and lift off the lid and set it aside on a towel for now.
7. Take the bucket of filter water out of the sink, leaving the valve stem pointed into the sink, open the bottom valve again, and slowly pour the water into the top of the canister. The water will come three times dirtier than the first time. This is because you are back-flushing the filter media - sending the water in the opposite direction that it normally flows.
8. When the filter has emptied, close the bottom valve again and turn it clock-wise back up.
9. Now, is a good time to check the top layer of filtering media (it’s right there), EhfiSynth, and see if it might need replacing. Also, it’s a good time to pull out the instructions and follow the procedure for cleaning the impeller. You kept your instructions, didn’t you?
10. Wet the O-Ring, and slide it over the bottom of the lid and press down.
When you’re done, take the filter back, hook up the double taps, open the bottom valves first and then the top valves. The filter should fill up again on its own (no need to start the siphon manually). When it’s full, plug it in. You’re done.

Meanwhile, three more months later…
By now it’s time to change out about one-half to two-thirds of the EhfiSubstrat biological filter media. EhfiSubstrat is made of sintered glass beads which makes it very porous, providing excellent surface area (18,335 sq. ft. / U.S. gallon) for nitrifying bacteria to thrive. The bacteria adhere to the glass better than any plastic or ceramic media. All this is why EhfiSubstrat is just about the best biological filter media on the market. However, even this will clog-up over time and need to be replaced. You only change out part of it so that the old media will seed the new media with bacteria without subjecting the fish to another cycle. The easiest way to do the change-out is as follows:

Call this The Second Half Maintenance.

1. Unplug the filter, close all the valves, and disconnect the filter.
2. Drain the filter as you did for the quick maintenance above. (Leave out the bucket this time and let the water go down the drain.)
3. When it’s empty, remove the lid and set it aside with the O-Ring. Now, lay out an old bath towel on the kitchen counter.
4. Remove the EhfiSynth media (It will more than likely need to be replaced.) from the filter. Now, you want to pour the media slowly out of the canister into a row on the towel. The row should be in segments of EhfiSubstrat, a wad of EhfiFix, and EhfiMech.
5. While the canister is empty, it’s a good time to rinse it out thoroughly in the sink with tap water. Do not use any chemical cleaners! Do not run it in the dishwasher!
6. Set the canister upside down over the towel for a bit while you rinse out the EhfiMech (ceramic rings) just like you did when you first set up the filter. Afterwards, go ahead and put the EhfiMech back into the canister.
7. Thoroughly rinse out the EhfiFix (green stuff or blue pad) in the sink and place it back into the filter.
8. Since you’re rinsing stuff, why not rinse out the new EhfiSubstrat. Remember that this should be enough to replace ‡ to 2/3 of the original EhfiSubstrat.
9. Now remove ‡ to 2/3 of the old EhfiSubstrat pile and throw it away (Ed. note: you can also boil the ehfisubstrat in water, with a splash of bleach if you want it to get nice and white again, dry and save for future use). Mix the remaining media with the new and place it into the filter.
10. Put your EhfiSynth (white, cotton stuff or pad) on top.
11. Now is a good time to clean the impeller.
12. Wet the O-Ring, and slide it over the bottom of the lid and press down. Lock the clips into place, and reconnect the filter as you did before. The siphon should start by itself after you open the bottom valves and then the top valves. When it’s full, plug it in.
13. Once it’s running again, give it a pat on the pump-head and say "See you in three months."

And now…
Three months from this point, repeat "The First Half Maintenance" - the back flush of filter media. And three months after that repeat "The Second Half Maintenance" - EhfiSubstrat replacement. Notice that you’ve only replaced EhfiSubstrat and EhfiSynth. You don’t have to replace EhfiFix or EhfiMech until they are completely worn out. Just rinse and reuse. You may, at some point during the year, use some carbon for some reason or another. If you need to, place it in a convenient spot in the filter. For example, you could exchange the EhfiSynth on top with it. Just remember that it doesn’t take long for the carbon to achieve the desired effect. So don’t leave it in too long. A couple of days to a week should suffice. If it doesn’t, then you need to have a look at your other maintenance practices. For example, are you overfeeding the fish (very easy to do and the leading cause of fish death!)? Are you doing regular partial water changes. 25% every two weeks (recommended) or 50% every four weeks (that could be pushing it). Upkeep on these two factors alone may eliminate the need for carbon at all.

After the first year, you should check and see just how much it cost you to run your Eheim Filter. Then, compare that with what it would cost to run other types of filters. I think you be surprised at how much you saved in time and money. __________________

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
That manual also says to change out two thirds of bio-media every six months which I would never do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store